When is it time to get a new bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Anonymous1502

How do you decide when it is time to get another bike? After how long of using your current bike do you get a 2nd bike?

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
When the bank balance says so

vickster

Legendary Member
When I see one I want or more unlikely, need! Bank has nothing to do with it, although I do need to justify to myself (helps if I have space to store too)

D

Deleted member 26715

When the bike you have does not satisfy your cycling needs anymore.
Is there an engine replacement service available?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
When I break my back, then decide I want something bigger and badder, and I keep it quiet for 18 months, as I don't want to be dead ontop of a broken back.

Seriously though.

Started regular cycling with a good bike at 16 - mid level, 531c with Shimano 600/Ultegra. Had that for about 4 years then bought a top of the range race bike, hand made, custom paint job, Dura Ace etc. Still have this and the other bike, but that's more like triggers broom as bits were replaced as worn/crash damaged - the posh one is original. Then a couple of year's later MTB starts to take off, so we all bught MTB's for a laugh as well (in the cycling club). I stuck with 3 bikes until I started commuting to work again and bike to work lauched - that was about 10 years ago, so I'd had the best bike and MTB for nearly 20 years back then. 4 years ago I bought a full suspension MTB (during broken spine recovery). This year got rid of the commuter, so back to 4 bikes.

I don't tend to buy new bikes just because. I look after my existing ones. I don't need a gravel bike, as both my MTB's cover this, the old one being rigid, so fast for XC. The full suspension is the beastie you can throw at big rocks and stuff - incredible fun.

Pioneer

Regular
It’s always time to buy a new bike 😀
Try using it for a month and if you still like it then keep it, if not then sell it on. If you loose money then you might think a second time about buying something just because it’s for sale.

if I see something I like I buy it and not just bikes BUT NEVER get a loan to buy anything,
“if you can’t afford it then don’t buy it “

the_mikey

Legendary Member
How do you decide when it is time to get another bike? After how long of using your current bike do you get a 2nd bike?

Just think of a reason, it isn't hard to find reasons to want a new bike, you want a smaller frame, you want to try wider tyres, you want mudguards, you want something lighter, you want a folding bike, you're going bikepacking, next year you're only going to ride gravel, you want a heavier bike, you want a bike like your old bike but a different colour, you want to ride what Primož Roglič is riding, you want to ride Audax next year, you want titanium, you want scandium, you NEED a shopping bike, you want to do LEJOG on a fixie, you want reynolds steel, you want a restoration project, you want a high vis retroreflective night bike :becool:, recumbent is the way to go, you've signed up for a 10k time trial, you've decided to ride a tricycle to your local CTC meeting, you're thinking of selling ice cream and coffee from a cargo bike...

finding somewhere to store them however....

Pioneer

Regular
Just think of a reason, it isn't hard to find reasons to want a new bike, you want a smaller frame, you want to try wider tyres, you want mudguards, you want something lighter, you want a folding bike, you're going bikepacking, next year you're only going to ride gravel, you want a heavier bike, you want a bike like your old bike but a different colour, you want to ride what Primož Roglič is riding, you want to ride Audax next year, you want titanium, you want scandium, you NEED a shopping bike, you want to do LEJOG on a fixie, you want reynolds steel, you want a restoration project, you want a high vis retroreflective night bike :becool:, recumbent is the way to go, you've signed up for a 10k time trial, you've decided to ride a tricycle to your local CTC meeting, you're thinking of selling ice cream and coffee from a cargo bike...

finding somewhere to store them however....
I think you have just answered the question 👍😀

Top Bottom