When is It too hot to go cycling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have had heatstroke in the desert. You feel really sick and feint and have to lie down in the shade and drink.
In really hot conditions, clothing is protection. At some point, dark colours become more effective than light ones but I would stick to light colours in most heat. You can wet fabric and with cycling speed the cooling effect is quite good. A damp towel or buff around the neck will cool blood effectively.
Best way to ride on a v hot day is to start early, take a long lunch/ siesta and ride late.

pbkclements

Maybe last night (in Dorset), if you ask me ! - it was pretty hot maybe late 80's but ....

Garmin watch said heart rate averaged162 max was 214, training effect 5.0.

Ok I'm 58 but bearing in mind I poodled along at the usual 13mph & was not out of breath on the ride, I'm trusting that the google readings were infuenced by my copious application of sun tan lotion, elsewise I must get my affairs in order !.

Seriously though, we use common sense, why push it when weather is like this & carry some water with you on the ride.

I've never had a problem riding in hot weather (I've ridden northern Sahara, tropics, Nevada), which is handy now leaving in Texas. The limitation for me is logistics, on really hot days I can only carry so much water. Maybe about 3litres max, and I'll drink at least 1.5litres per hour when it's hot. So my summer high temperature rides are usually limited to 2 hours.

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
Visited my younger daughter in a clinic today, and it was 37 degrees. 40 minutes ride, no problems but I cannot say it was enjoyable.

I did my 1 hour/21km fitness round at 40 degrees last year just to break the record, but a newer longer one (double) I would never attempt in hot weather without taking water with me.

It's not just heat, it pays to look out for other factors such as particle pollution or NOx gas emissions if there is no wind. All on teletext here - quaint isn't it.

lane

Veteran
Been out for two 90 minute rides over last two days - both starting around 10pm. Reasonably pleasant, no wind for change, and while cycling not too hot. Nice and quiet as well, especially along the river and canal path. Bonus got my son out this evening as it was too hot for him to meet up with his friends outside earlier so he was stuck in and happy to get out.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I got my stuff together for a ride at 7:45pm last night and wheeled the bike out on to the pavement. It had a flat on the back tyre. Having spent the best part of the day in a room at 30C, I just couldn't be arsed to fix it, went back inside and got a cold beer from the fridge. I'm not seeking the moral high ground these days.

CXRAndy

Guru
I once rode Croix d Fer and Glandon in 40 C absolutely torture, never drank so much.

I was stopping and dunking my head in the ice cold streams to cool down.

Top Bottom