When is It too hot to go cycling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
18 degrees is perfect for me, anything over 25 and I start becoming thermonuclear internally.

Most difficult temps I've ridden in was 40 degrees near Brindisi. Horrible. Also did Velothon Wales during a heatwave (around 25 degrees at 5am...over 30 climbing up The Tumble). Did not enjoy.

My great learning from this mornings ride, wear a bandana and soak it in cool water every now and then:

Really helped me today in keeping cool in the heat here, had to refill the bidons twice so 4.5ltrs to get me through, it was a long hard slog.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I looked at that picture and thought you had drunk too much water an hour or so earlier...

I know it's my mind.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I will ride even when the temps get up around 100 degrees. I won't say that I enjoy it but I ride when the window of opportunity presents itself. But you must be careful. You have to watch out for dehydration and I'll drink the Gatorade light when it gets that hot when I normally just drink plain water. But you also have to be careful of heat stroke, which is an entirely different thing and potentially more dangerous. I definitely take it easier in the heat. I'll go up hills slower and take longer rests while rehydrating. I don't try and set any records in the heat. But I do think that if you know your body's reaction to heat and take the necessary precautions you can elevate your fitness level by riding in it. I don't have scientific basis for making that statement but I think the concept is similar to the basis for Hot Yoga. But you have to be able to handle the heat and know when to stop and get cool if you overheat.
How many miles do you normally ride ( hot yoga style )

MntnMan62

Über Member
How many miles do you normally ride ( hot yoga style )

I'm not going on long rides in this heat. 20 miles with about 1,350 ft of elevation gain is about all I've managed to be able to do on the hot days. And it will take me all of 2 hours to do it as well. I will stop and hang out in the shade while I swig some water before moving on. I find the hills that are out in the open with no tree cover to be the hardest to tackle.

Jimidh

Veteran
Unfortunately I hardly ever get the chance to find out!!

I have however been on Mallorca a few time and ridden on fairly hot days including a particularly warm one up Sa Calobra where I was absolutely drenched in sweat by the time I reached the summit. Fortunately there is a cafe at the top to rehydrate.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I popped out the last two lunch breaks for a ride. Kept it as flat as I could (off road MTB, so climbs are slow). Only short climbs but had to literally have a quick breather at the top of a 1 in 5 yesterday, before I climbed steps upto the canal. Was only a short climb, but the heat build up in a couple of minutes was incredible. So glad to get rolling again for some fresh air. My jersey was heavy with sweat when I took it off.

Shortandcrisp

Über Member
Made the mistake of taking a family holiday on the Nile in late July a few years back. Temps reached 48 degrees. Stepped out from the shade of a temple into full sunlight and immediately felt my un sun screened toes start to burn.
I would say that was too hot to cycle. 🙃

Top Bottom