When is It too hot to go cycling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hoopdriver

Guru
I cycled around Australia many years ago, and came down the west coast at the height of summer with temperatures ranging between 40°C and 50°C and long, long empty stretches of desert highway. It’s doable but it ain’t fun. I was carrying 23 litres of water on the bike and needed every drop.

I cycled around Australia many years ago, and came down the west coast at the height of summer with temperatures ranging between 40°C and 50°C and long, long empty stretches of desert highway. It’s doable but it ain’t fun. I was carrying 23 litres of water on the bike and needed every drop.
23 litres - ye gods - without a trailer? We would love to see pics I'm sure.

12boy

Guru
There are some simple rules I followed when commuting home in the afternoon.....
Drink a quart of water with Gatorade about 20 minutes before the ride. Be well hydrated before you ride.
Make the ride shorter if possible, getting the long ride in early on the way to work.
Have some water along
Wear light colored, loose cotton shirts. The sun on bare skin is hotter.
Consider a piece of towel between the helmet and your head and get it nice and wet before you take off. Many years ago Italian racers would put cabbage leaves under their helmets (those leather hair net ones)
Slow down, especially when climbing with a tailwind. A wind at the same speed as you won't cool you at all. The climb will definitely heat you up, though.
Be extra vigilant. Either bitter cold or high heat can distract you from paying attention to potential problems. It can be true for others on the road.
You can get used to the heat same as the cold. Late summer temps that would be intolerable in April are less so in August. Working all day in a cold air conditioned office and hitting 40C on the way home can be an issue.
If you feel like crap when you get home another dose of electrolytes and a cool shower will make you less cranky.

36 yesterday was unpleasant and I stopped a handful of times to get my breath back, today 30 but much faster and hillier was just about bearable with 3ltrs and lots more when I got home.

as for the OP question most definitely yes, I rode the 2013 Marmotte in 45c heat and it was carnage, halfway up Alp Dheuz I had to get off and sit under one of the water station taps, my heart rate was crashing for sure that was my absolute limit, totally brutal day made so much harder by that heat. I now never take black kit especially shoes to the mountains in summer.

If you think it’s too hot for you to enjoy the ride than yes, it’s why I get up at 5am on hot days, added bonus of no traffic.

I think this will be my plan tomorrow: it gets pretty warm by eight locally and by ten it's horrendous.

Unfortunately that means my plan to do 100k tomorrow is not going to happen.

MntnMan62

Über Member
Lucky you didn't stay out any longer as from what you describe it could have been the start of heatstroke.

That's so true and likely the correct diagnosis.

I have to say I like the screen name. Welcome to The First Church of Appliantology. The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you gotta load or unload, go to the White Zone. It's a way of life!

hoopdriver

Guru
And people who wouldn't give you water when it was 50c

I was trapped in a boring job and the NG story of your ride was so exciting!

Thank you!
There were a couple of real prats I encountered along the way but for the most part people were great. Right after the guy at the roadhouse refused to give me any water, one of the local station owners stepped up and not only gave me water but invited me to stay at his million acre homestead for a couple of days - in all, a really great adventure

Top Bottom