When is It too hot to go cycling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

overmind

My other bike is a Pinarello
I was going to cycle Reading to Oxford (and back) today but decided it might to too hot. Lots of the route is open country. Instead I cycled to Newbury through the woods near Aldermaston. This was when it was hottest. I then cycled from Newbury to Basingstoke and then back to
Reading. I reckon about 60 miles.

I'm pretty tired now. I'll take it easy tomorrow.

Triban 3 and Schwalbe Marathon tyres. No mechanical problems or punctures either.

MntnMan62

Über Member
I will ride even when the temps get up around 100 degrees. I won't say that I enjoy it but I ride when the window of opportunity presents itself. But you must be careful. You have to watch out for dehydration and I'll drink the Gatorade light when it gets that hot when I normally just drink plain water. But you also have to be careful of heat stroke, which is an entirely different thing and potentially more dangerous. I definitely take it easier in the heat. I'll go up hills slower and take longer rests while rehydrating. I don't try and set any records in the heat. But I do think that if you know your body's reaction to heat and take the necessary precautions you can elevate your fitness level by riding in it. I don't have scientific basis for making that statement but I think the concept is similar to the basis for Hot Yoga. But you have to be able to handle the heat and know when to stop and get cool if you overheat.

Last edited:

Dwn

Somewhere around the mid 20's would be my limit. Beyond that I begin to feel uncomfortable even with just walking or sitting outdoors.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Yes it can be too hot to ride. In Bulgaria last year I had a 30km climb with metal barriers and thick brush on both sides, There was nowhere to hide. 40 degrees. No breeze. No shade. I had drank litres of water all day and on the mountain I was vomiting water. I just could not keep it down. I got to a hotel and basically collapsed into a shower, In the morning I had no idea where my bike or most of my gear was. It was downstairs in storage. Yes it can be too hot to ride. Was I stupid to go up the mountain? Absolutely barking mad. But a huge lesson learnt. The Transcontinental Race lose more riders to heat than anything else some years.
For me once it get to 30 I am very wary. Once bitten, twice shy. Its not a pleasant experience.

Last edited:
Top tip, you can take refuge in the cool shade behind churches. Because of their orientation the back of the church is on the North. Most churches also have a cold water tap somewhere for an impromptu soaking.

That knowledge has saved me from sunstroke a few times.
What do you mean by "back"? I thought most churches had the altar at the east, opposite the entrance, ie altar at the "back".

Reactions: C R
Altar at the east.
Ceremonial entrance, if there is one - west.
Porch and usual entrance on the south.
Opposite side to the entrance - north.
thanks - useful to know - i like churches and stop often at them for a mooch and to brew an espresso.
Churches just keep on giving - for atheist coffee junkie cyclists.

On heat, I try to avoid long rides in temps over 30.
Re steve's cautionary tale and comments about temp forecasts being in the shade, I did once ride in something above 38 degrees forecast in noonday sun in southern italy - only out about 40 mins but was glad I soon got to some shade and a meal - strange things started happening - lots of small goose bumps which disappeared on encountering shade and wine. Body trying to frantically shed heat by increasing surface area?

On heat, I try to avoid long rides in temps over 30.
Re steve's cautionary tale and comments about temp forecasts being in the shade, I did once ride in something above 38 degrees forecast in noonday sun in southern italy - only out about 40 mins but was glad I soon got to some shade and a meal - strange things started happening - lots of small goose bumps which disappeared on encountering shade and wine. Body trying to frantically shed heat by increasing surface area?
Lucky you didn't stay out any longer as from what you describe it could have been the start of heatstroke.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Maybe someone has said this already, but in hot weather, divide your water use/consumption equally between drinking it and regularly/frequently wetting head, neck, back, front and legs. [Edit: NB So for the sports drinks/powder/tablet ninjas, make sure that at least one bottle carried is kept for plain potable water.]
This is not an issue for exercise under an hour (say) but beyond that, body overheating is at least as much of a problem as dehydration. To share experience bitd I was about 4 hours in to a hard long run (coast to top of Scafell Pike and back ~ 31 miles) on a mid-summer sunny day and well hydrated when, with no apparent reason (no change in speed and road flattish along Wastwater on the way back and no change in RPE) my heart rate suddenly increased from a comfortable 150 to an unreasonable 180. At the next (and subsequent) support stop(s) I dowsed myself liberally with coolish water and my heart rate dropped back to 'normal'.

Last edited:

ianbarton

Veteran
I dislike temperatures above 25C. It didn't feel too hot when I set off yesterday and there was variable cloud cover. Looking at the temperatures from my Wahoo, it was actually 31C when I set off. The maximum temperature was 37C. In retrospect, I didn't take enough fluid. I had a single 1-litre bottle. I felt OK until I was about 5km from home when energy began to fade. I got home OK and my clothes were soaking wet from sweat.

At home, I topped up with a couple of litres of diluted SquashD and two mugs of coffee (yes, I know coffee is a diuretic). It was a couple of hours before I needed to go for a pee.

I don't really like most isotonic drinks, as they tend to make me feel slightly sick. The only one I both like and doesn't make me feel sick is no longer available!

Lucky you didn't stay out any longer as from what you describe it could have been the start of heatstroke.
Quite true. I have had heat stroke before. In the same bit of italy years before. Had to be taken to an italian doc in a hospital.
If you have more info on symptoms of/signs of heatstroke may be handy for folk. My experience of it was too long ago for me to remember the details,but i do know that i felt seriously unwell.

Top Bottom