When is it too late to eat on a ride?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hont

Guru
How long does it take food to be converted to usable glycogen? If I eat half an hour before the end of a ride is that energy going to benefit me during the ride?

Anyone know?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
That's too late for proper food to be digested. If you are desperate for energy then use a gel or the old favourite - a can of regular Coke (sugar + caffeine in liquid form = very quick energy burst).

OP
OP
Hont

Hont

Guru
The question was when is it too late to eat on a ride? The half hour question was an example really.

Looking for when is the latest it's worth eating.

amaferanga

Veteran
There isn't much point in eating within the last half hour unless you're bonking and absolutely need a quick energy boost. With an hour to go I'd still be drinking and probably would have my last bite to eat.

darkstar

Hont said:
The question was when is it too late to eat on a ride? The half hour question was an example really.

Looking for when is the latest it's worth eating.
Well it all depends on the length of the ride, for example i did a 50 mile ride today, didn't need to eat anything, just drank plain old water. if that milage increases though i'll take a gel or maybe even peanut butter and jam sandwiches. It also changes with different people, there is no way we can tell you when to eat because it's impossible. Just experiment with different methods, times and foods till you find the right one.

As a bench mark though i'd say eat an hour before you are likely to feel a drop in energy. Half an hour is fairly pointless.

dodgy

When is it too late? When you're hungy, if you're hungry you've missed the ideal time. Same goes for thirst.
Eat before you're hungry, drink before you're thirsty.

PK99

Legendary Member
Hont said:
How long does it take food to be converted to usable glycogen? If I eat half an hour before the end of a ride is that energy going to benefit me during the ride?

Anyone know?

Solid food will be no benefit - gels or sports drinks will get into the system in time to be useful. Failing that such a wine gum of few!

Trek Trauma Chris

About an hour before I ride 40+ miles, I eat beans on toast. Then 30 mins later I warm up and stretch and set of with a bottle containing the SIS energy drink, work for me.

Top Bottom