When Kids are In Charge !!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
There is a documentary on tv this week called Kids In Charge. This is not staged, its genuine. Normal (looking) parents with 3 kids. The eldest is a lad aged 8.
Thier thinking is that kids should be allowed to make all decisions re thier lives.
They dont go to school.
They decide if and when they should have lessons**
They decide when to play and when to go to bed.
They decide what to eat and when. To quote "if she (the little girl) wants ice cream for breakfast, lunch and dinner thats fine".
**aged 8 he cant write or spell his name.
The mind boggles.

Drago

Legendary Member
8 and he can't write or spell his name? Unless there's some kind of medical condition the parents should be locked up!

tom73

Guru
Sadly not any parent can apply to “off roll” a child. Education welfare officer can stop an application. If they believe eduction provided would be substandard.
In reality it’s not a power really used.

Labour did try and regulate home education in line with school inspections. But dropped it once they thought it may cost a few votes.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Cheap car crash tv with a nasty subtext. Of course it's daft, but it's just one family out of a nation of 60 million. Make a good 'documentary' though...

Brains

Legendary Member
Cheap car crash tv with a nasty subtext. Of course it's daft, but it's just one family out of a nation of 60 million. Make a good 'documentary' though...

Unfortunately its not just one family.
Home Schooling is surprisingly common
Local Authorities have no idea at all how many kids are on their patch as amazingly their is no need to register home schooled kids

The problem is that the majority of home schooled kids are not schooled in any real sense at all.
The problem then becomes what are these poor kids going to do when they get into their 20's ?
They will not be fit for employment, family, or future.
They are unlikely to be able to excel in society

lane

Veteran
Can't speak for the majority but the ones I have known were. Often home schooled for good reason.

D

Deleted member 26715

I look around at society and parenting today and think there should be more formal education and training, much more!
Do you mean there should be society & formal parenting training before they are allowed to breed, I'd go along with that

Globalti

Legendary Member
So these home-schooled kids will be the same lads I see mooching around in Greater Manchester in grey marl tracksuits, phone glued to one ear and pushing a pram with the other hand. They appear to be unemployable.

We are staying in a huge old Victorian hotel in Crieff. Every single member of staff is non-british. What are the locals doing?

Top Bottom