When riding for pleasure which bike type do you use the most?

Most used bike type

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
A tourer is a road bike, isn't it? I was gonna put road but I mostly ride a CdF which you could call a tourer, although I don't tour on it. It's also marketed as a go anywhere gravel bike, it came with 35mm CX tyres but road bike gearing. When I was a kid I used to tour on what you'd call a mountain bike, and the Grand Tours are ridden on racing bikes.

Imma put 'road'.

Kinda likewise; although mine is supposedly an ‘endurance’ bike. Like a road bike but slightly more relaxed geometry. Which I’ve fitted some cyclocross bits too. And gravel wheels and tyres…..

I’m also gonna shoehorn myself into the road category 😎

It's e bikes for me now as severely arthritic knees caused by my genetic inheritance but also decades of riding the steepest hills in the Pennines have worsened my condition a lot over the last 2 years.
Nevertheless, e bikes have been my saviour. I have a Ridgeback e mtb and a lightweight (15 kg - light for and e bike) Ribble e hybrid.

I ride the e mtb more than my e hybrid but still manage to complete over 5200 miles (average 100 per week) in total on the 2 bikes.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Racy midwife?

farewell.jpg

a.twiddler

Veteran
It's so difficult to categorise bikes, especially diamond frame ones because for example even a " tourer" has more than 50 shades of grey with more traditional ones being supposedly more road orientated (however did rough stuff fellowship types manage before bikes were so minutely categorised?) and modern ones verging on gravel bikes if you change the tyres and bars. You can tour or bikepack on just about anything if you put your mind to it. Even my supposedly road recumbent finds itself in places and on surfaces which the designer probably never envisaged.

Add to this that whichever bike (or trike) I'm on is my favourite at the time, though I must say that I mostly gravitate to two wheels. My steel tourer is the last survivor of my diamond frame bikes because it is comfortable and versatile. Although I keep a folder because mainly it is a utility vehicle, I had an excellent longer distance ride on it at the end of the summer this year. The recumbent delta trike (more categories! Delta. tadpole, upright, recumbent, electric, non electric!) is yet to be proved over distance though I was disappointed not to have some snow in our area to give it a work out while the weather was cold enough.
The two wheeled recumbent is just something else, a bike but somehow more than just a bike. It changed my previously held views about bicycles and gave me a new perspective.

I've never had a modern superlight road bike, which might change my perspective again, but at my age and level of creakiness I might need a team of physios on hand to straighten me up again after riding such a dedicated tucked in head down speed machine any distance.. Too much pain, not enough gain, I suspect.

a.twiddler

Veteran
Although I like to try new things this is the scenario I fear most. What if... I electrified my recumbent? Would it become so addictive that I'd never ride my other bikes again? A similar thing happened when I was 16 and discovered motorbikes. It wasn't until ten years later that I rediscovered the joys of cycling (and continued motorbiking too) but in the meantime I had no bicycles. Or would I feel compelled to electrify my other bikes too? More expense, continually worrying about using them all enough to keep the batteries alive. That's one of the joys of pedal power. You can ignore a bike for months then with a whiff of air and a squirt of oil you can be up and running again.

But the seductive ability to get help up hills, or conserve battery power for the return leg of your journey when you're beginning to feel weary might be too much to resist one day, after a particularly strenuous ride, and I might just crack. As I have proved time and time again over the years, I can resist anything except temptation.

Top Bottom