When would you like 'to go' ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Another cheerful topic on the trials of life, and it's choices, not that we have much choice about this.
Many of us, including myself, on here are near t the 'arse end' of life rather than the other end.
When would you like to go? Do you hope for many more years of life and living to good age or do you think I've done alright, I'm happy, not much point hanging around much longer, I'd like to go.
I don't have any major health issues so could possibly go on for many more years.
I'd just be interested to know your thoughts and how you feel.

Last edited:

Brandane

Legendary Member
Talking of "arse ends" - once I am not capable of wiping it for myself; that is the moment I will have had enough. If you could please switch me off then, that would be good.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I'd like as long as possible while my quality of life is enjoyable, then I'd like to go quickly.

This (69 years) is the best time of my life - I'd be delighted to have another 10 to 15 years of living with Ms AU in our own home, and I'm doing what I can to achieve that.

I've drafted my healthcare wishes and shared them with the people I love; they made some good suggestions which I incorporated. They have a copy of the final document.

I don;t like sitting around doing nothing for ages at a time

I need to get out most days and do something - henc ethe cycling thing
it saved me during lockdown - I would have gone crazy if I hadn't gone for rides most days (within limits defined by the government - of course!)

and going to Tesco also helped even if I was paranoid about catching "it" so stayed well away from everyone and religiously wiped down the trolley and scanner before using them
and then stayed at least 6 - more like 10 - feet away from everyone at all times

so - when I am no longer well enough to get out on my own and "do stuff" then I'm ready

preferable instantly
being directly below a nuclear explosion seems about as fast as is possible - but the collateral damage to other is a problem!

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I am nearer the end than most of you but my parents lived for another 6 and 7 years beyond so there is a history of long life in my family.
Problem is I have a clogged up aotric valve which is now on amber. It could be easily replaced by IAVR if the cardiologists agree to do it but that is still in question.
Do I want to go?
Cannot really answer that as while not suicidal life can get very tedious at times being not as mobile as others and while people are helpful there is only so much can be done.
My trike is essential for keeping fit but a car is even more essential for independent living.
If it came to having to go into a care home I think that would certainly finish me off. My wife referred to a good one she went to for a week to give me a short holiday as a hell hole and I could only agree with her.

Slick

Guru
Obviously its just a lottery and whichever way you go, your family will wish you went another way.

One very nice gentleman I know died on the golf course, which was a drama I know he would have hated. When it happened I was devastated for him and his family as I could only imagine how horrible it was to dropping dead without warning going about your business.

Then life throws you a curve ball and after watching people close to me fade away from giants in my life to well, whatever was left in the end soon had me hoping I drop after sinking a 10 foot putt on the 18th.

Drago

Legendary Member
At an old age, in as spectacular fashion as possible.

Ideally seeking refuge in a nuclear reactor containment building while fighting terrorists, while also being chased by an escaped tiger, and if all goes well I'll stagger and collapse where the boundaries of three different force areas meet. By my reckoning that'll be heaps of paperwork for at least 6 different organisations.

But that's assuming I remain full of him and vigour. If I were bed bound or the like I think I'd want to go sooner rather than later.

If I should die in the food aisle at M&S I'd like one of those little roadside shrines.

Top Bottom