When You Get A Puncture, How Do You Go About Making The Repair?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
Having a run of bad luck recently with punctures. Two in the past week, one of which meant a 45 min walk back home.
I've had three in the last two weeks which I put down to a combination of dark mornings and hedge trimming. The roads are littered with bramble cuttings and when it's dark, you can't see them in time to avoid them. The bramble punctures have been on the front and I managed to get to work with one of them just by stopping a couple of times and topping up the air. The second one wasn't too bad either (to start with) and got me to about half a mile from work and I walked the rest.

My most recent puncture though was on the back caused by a bit of stone which was mixed in with the mud on the road near a big farm I cycle past. That was a proper blowout and the jolt was pretty intense as well. I was concerned that I'd maybe fractured a chain stay. I now have a spare tube, levers and spanner taped beneath the saddle so that I don't have to remember to bring them with me.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
@Lovacott - I was interested to read you've taped your tube etc. underneath your saddle. Is there a reason you chose not to use a saddle bag?

I appreciate a good mudguard will offer protection but I would be concerned if my spare tube and tools were exposed to the elements like this.

The tape could quite easily fall off.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Upside down if no nearby makeshift workshop stand or helpful mate is available; twist the bar stuff around as described above. Done this with hydro brakes and suspension, no problems. Always a replacement tube until they run out, then a running repair. Always plastic film off.

42F3B1AC-C000-4F1D-9845-9186126CD594.jpeg

jay clock

Massive member
10 years too long? I have bled bike brakes before when building bikes up changing/upgrading calipers etc. Just never on my own bikes.
my Cannondale mtb from 2003 was sold in July with the original unserviced hydro discs. Pads changed but brakes still fine. Magura of some sort

Ajax Bay

Guru
Upside down: potential saddle damage, potential bar (STIs/ergos if drop bars) and attachments damage. Panier/rackbag upside down.
Lay down on left hand side: contact with bar end, pedal axle end and tyre.
Plus one for @PaulSB 's question re small under-saddle bag.
I'd strap a medium length pump to an adapter under the bottle cage - avoids having to remember to put one in the backpack/panier.

I leave the plastic film on, mainly because it's a faff to remove.
I preferred the old paper backing, they'd just split when the tyre was inflated.

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
@Lovacott - I was interested to read you've taped your tube etc. underneath your saddle. Is there a reason you chose not to use a saddle bag?
I appreciate a good mudguard will offer protection but I would be concerned if my spare tube and tools were exposed to the elements like this.
The tape could quite easily fall off.
It's inside a strong ziplock bag and its taped to the seat tube. It's a temporary measure until I sort out some proper storage.

I am keeping it separate from my panniers so that I don't have to handle the panniers with mucky hands.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
I just hammer the wheel until it fixes itself.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
If it's a hack bike I just flip it upside down both to do puncture repairs and maintenance stuff like gear indexing and chain lubrication. Life is too short to worry about putting a few more scuffs and scratches on a beater. If its a "best bike" (by my standards anyway) I invert it if working on grass or lay it on it's side if on anything else.

silva

Über Member
I have handlebars that curve alot so I can hang a backpack under it, and the handlebar ends protrude enough to serve as stands when bike upside down.
And I mounted a metal cage above my rear rack, and big panniers on the sides. This all makes the bike more stable upside down than normal. I find it alot easier to work on the bike (road and home) when it's upside down.

gcogger

Just had my first puncture since getting back into cycling - I blame all of you lot, for tempting fate ^_^ Of course it was pitch dark in the middle of nowhere. I found a partially overgrown road name sign, which I managed to hook the back of the saddle onto, which seemed to work well enough. I didn't realise until I got home that some of what was overgrowing the sign consisted of stinging nettles, so maybe it wasn't the best idea I've ever had...

Just had my first puncture since getting back into cycling - I blame all of you lot, for tempting fate ^_^ Of course it was pitch dark in the middle of nowhere. I found a partially overgrown road name sign, which I managed to hook the back of the saddle onto, which seemed to work well enough. I didn't realise until I got home that some of what was overgrowing the sign consisted of stinging nettles, so maybe it wasn't the best idea I've ever had...
But but but
surely you would have noticed the stinging at the time???
rather than when you got home???
I'm confused

Top Bottom