When You Get A Puncture, How Do You Go About Making The Repair?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It was cold - I'd taken my gloves off to change the inner tube :smile: I think I only noticed when my hands warmed up!
OK - fair enough - didn't know that was a thing - so today is not wasted - I learned something!!

gcogger

OK - fair enough - didn't know that was a thing - so today is not wasted - I learned something!!
It's just a theory - but my hands were freezing, especially as I forgot to put the gloves back on when I set off, and didn't manage to find somewhere safe to stop for a while to do so. I'm such an idiot, sometimes :wacko:

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
It's just a theory - but my hands were freezing, especially as I forgot to put the gloves back on when I set off, and didn't manage to find somewhere safe to stop for a while to do so. I'm such an idiot, sometimes :wacko:
Cold air does dampen down nettle rash. I cop a few stings now and again when I pull into the hedgerows to let oncoming cars and tractors pass.

silva

Über Member
If you have luggage like panniers or a rack or handlebar bag then everything is likely to fall out. The bottles may fall out if you forget to remove them. And it would make removing and replacing the wheels more difficult as you don't have gravity to help you on removing, nor can you use the weight of the bike + your weight to seat them properly on replacing. And it would be difficult reach the brake to give the tyre that extra shove/squeeze to get it past the brake blocks if you have caliper brakes and limited clearance even with the brake opened.
I just keep the panniers closed.
The big basket on top of my rear rack contains a backpack, some bags, and a mountain backframe on top, with some plastic sheets against rain above it, held in place with 4 flexible cords with hooks. The frame serves as top closing lid.
Sometimes when having bigger luggage I just attach it above it, this is a picture of such case, you can see the plastic sheets and the rear of the red backframe:

So you can imagine (without the rolls fabric ofc) that when I flip the bike upside down, it sits very stable on the ground - the height of the metal cage basket + frame is same as saddle.
About gravity, a bicycle wheel weight is not really a problem, no? Much easier to handle than entire bike.
And reaching the brakes - the panniers tilt / fall till the ground, they rest on the ground, leaving the entire wheel sides clear including mudguards.
Mine is a quite heavy bike. But alot weight also on top (handlebars bag), basket+content on rear rack, so the weight is vertically quite balanced, making flipping the bike easy.

Attachments

• FILE0281_small.JPG
    FILE0281_small.JPG
    187.7 KB · Views: 1
  • FILE0281_small.JPG
    FILE0281_small.JPG
    187.7 KB · Views: 2
  • FILE0281_small.JPG
    FILE0281_small.JPG
    187.7 KB · Views: 2

silva

Über Member
I never worked on a wheel with the bike on its side. It's just harder since one side unreachable.
I just illustrated that the problems with (content of) panniers etc you said, are not "that" problem and not even a problem. Maybe it's just your habit with you comfortable with it, and maybe the same can be said about mine?

approx. a yr ago, while riding in the woods w/ a friend, I picked up an old fashioned thumbtack in my rear tire. I removed the wheel but in hind sight I didn't have to. I tried a trick I had heard about, if you know exactly where the puncture is, you only have to sneak the tube out at that area, to access the hole & repair it. the whole tube & tire don't need to come off the wheel
Zipp2001

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
ooh metal levers! nice! I broke a plastic lever this morning. the little curved end meant to grip a spoke. I was wrongly using that end to coax the tire bead off
I carry metal levers and I've had the same set for over thirty years but I haven't had to use them with my MTB tyres. They come off with bit of hand pressure only.

Top Bottom