When You Get A Puncture, How Do You Go About Making The Repair?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
That is a bit of a long time. Shimano recommend changing the oil when it becomes discoloured which after a decade it definitely will be. 2 or 3 years of regular use has the oil looking tired, never mind a decade.

SRAM (Avid) recommend a year.

Anything with DOT fluid I would do annually, 5 years on anything with mineral oil (Shimano, Tektro). It costs pennies and takes minutes, so I can see no compelling reason not to do so - if they go wrong they cost pounds and take a lot of time.

Job for tomorrow then, I am real lazy on bike servicing, keep them clean and ride them , seldom service them.

OldShep

Über Member
Another dilemma is whether to remove the clear plastic film after the patch is stuck on the tube.
I choose to leave it there.....................despite the weight penalty :laugh:
Remove it. Surely it stops the patch expanding with the tube?

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
There are rules against this sort of behaviour. Get a stand, or find another way - cardboard box carefully positioned will support the chainstays without threatening the RD.
At home, I put a strap around the back of the saddle and support the bike via a shed rafter. On the road, I do whatever I need to do to get me home.

Massive thread derailment, by the OP ffs!

Is it really that strict on here?

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I would look for a good, low, tree branch- if there's one around- and hang the bike by the nose of the saddle.

But it seems I've given up getting punctures- I haven't had one for a long time so I think I'm over them now.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Derailment
No not 'strict', but if you want to crack off on cable v hydraulics there's so many threads dealing with that, if you want the community's views then at least do a search first. Or did you just get bored with the puncture topic? (options: hook up against a fence/wall/gate, or lay down on left side.)

I would look for a good, low, tree branch- if there's one around- and hang the bike by the nose of the saddle.

But it seems I've given up getting punctures- I haven't had one for a long time so I think I'm over them now.

I'm not sure I've ever been near a convenient tree with suitable branches. Might work well in a forest though. Even so I would place the bike down. I'm imagining the branch breaking and dropping the bike on the rear mech.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Another dilemma is whether to remove the clear plastic film after the patch is stuck on the tube.
I choose to leave it there.....................despite the weight penalty :laugh:
Oh dear! That's like leaving the sticky label on a new saucepan.

I always twist the handlebar stuff round a bit to prevent damage - if necessary I have a multi tool that I can use to loosen things.
Then lay it down upside down - probably because I have been doing that for about 40 years like my Dad showed me
If it is on tarmac or concrete them I normally fold my jacket into a suitable shape and use it to cushion the bars to save scratches

I have turned my bike upside down several times and the hydraulic brakes have been fine - I have read a lot of stuff on it and it seems that the system is pretty air tight so it should not leak - but leaving it like that for a long time may well cause a problem

But - to answer the actual question - I carry a spare tube to make the fix easier - but I also carry some self adhesive patches and an old style glue and patch kit - just in case.
This has also helped a few times when I have been able to help out other people who have different sized tyres to me.
The weight is pretty low - and as it is an ebike I'm not really bothered about a few grammes - after all if I ate less I could loose more than that in a week!!!

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
I always twist the handlebar stuff round a bit to prevent damage - if necessary I have a multi tool that I can use to loosen things.
Then lay it down upside down - probably because I have been doing that for about 40 years like my Dad showed me
If it is on tarmac or concrete them I normally fold my jacket into a suitable shape and use it to cushion the bars to save scratches

I have turned my bike upside down several times and the hydraulic brakes have been fine - I have read a lot of stuff on it and it seems that the system is pretty air tight so it should not leak - but leaving it like that for a long time may well cause a problem

But - to answer the actual question - I carry a spare tube to make the fix easier - but I also carry some self adhesive patches and an old style glue and patch kit - just in case.
This has also helped a few times when I have been able to help out other people who have different sized tyres to me.
The weight is pretty low - and as it is an ebike I'm not really bothered about a few grammes - after all if I ate less I could loose more than that in a week!!!

It's helpful responses like yours which draw me towards this site.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I turn it upside-down on the bars. Usually, I remember to take off the front light if it's fitted. Once, I hooked the bike on to some immaculate cast iron railings in The Boltons, Chelsea. The builders doing an overhaul of the £12 million mansion didn't like it but let me proceed when I reassured them that I wouldn't scratch the new paintwork.

Having a run of bad luck recently with punctures. Two in the past week, one of which meant a 45 min walk back home. I carry repair stuff for my 'bent rides of an evening, but ought to do the same for the shorter morning ride. Had to restock on patches - a pack of 40 should do me now for a while. That last one was a piece of wire stuck in the tire, clanking away as I cycled along. Like an idiot, I stopped and pulled it out, and flat as a pancake in seconds. Shoulda just clanked back home and dealt with it there - wonderful hindsight eh.

Top Bottom