When you see...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SamNichols

Generally speaking I think: 'Oh crap not another one!' Then I slowly chug up it, and enjoy the other side.

redfox

Up to 8% - "bring it on"
Up to 12% - "I hope it doesn't last too long"
Up to 20% - "Why did I even come this way?"
Over 20% it doesn't matter I will be walking.

longers

Legendary Member
I keep thinking that I'm so glad I'm skinny. Not nearly as skinny as I used to be but it helps. :eek:

Bigtallfatbloke

on the downhill approach I see th ehill ahead and tell myself..."it's flatter than you think...you'll see...just wait until you get to the bottom and then you'll see...it will be flat".....but it rarely is.

I have learnt to start the hill in a gear I think I can finish it in, use my momentum in the approach and pedal reasonably fast whilst the momentum is still with me.

I also know where many of the inclines (for hills they are not ) around here...so i can cheat and take a rest before I attack them if I am knackered...I often stop at the top as well and screw my legs back on.

The worst times are when I'm struggling up a slope and getting overtaken by kids on mtbs and their grandmother on her way back from tescos.

Blue

Legendary Member
"Wonder what speed I can hold" is my usual thought. I actually enjoy attacking hills - it's the only time I push myself hard on the bike. I don't know why I take that attitude; maybe it's because I like a challenge.

SamNichols

blue - that's a good attitude, and one that not all cyclists have (such as - ME). Personally i really like charging out on the flat, and handling the bike at a higher speed. But, I must admit I am getting better at hills.

Top Bottom