Where are Strava Flybys?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Yep
Seem to have gone.

Not something really fussed about though to be honest.

si_c

Guru
They've changed the privacy settings to default to turning flybys off. If you go to settings, privacy controls there is an option to allow flybys for your activities to show.

Edit: to see other riders though they will need to do the same.

OP
OP
D

Darius_Jedburgh

Veteran
They've changed the privacy settings to default to turning flybys off. If you go to settings, privacy controls there is an option to allow flybys for your activities to show.

Edit: to see other riders though they will need to do the same.
That's a bummer. I suspect few will do that, so that's the end of flybys.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Think they’ve been turned off by default for some reason. Just go into settings and you can turn them on again.

Sorry, didn’t notice above post. :laugh:

si_c

Guru
Think they’ve been turned off by default for some reason. Just go into settings and you can turn them on again.

Strava have been on a privacy kick lately, which is nice. It does have an impact on some nice features like this, but then again I'd rather they be cautious.

SWSteve

Guru
I’ve always found flybys to be odd. Yes it shows new routes which is great to see how I could add extra loops to familiar routes, but without the athletes being anonymised I thought it could be open to exploitation by people wanting to track runners/riders they were interested in for not entirely positive reasons...

OP
OP
D

Darius_Jedburgh

Veteran
but without the athletes being anonymised I thought it could be open to exploitation by people wanting to track runners/riders they were interested in for not entirely positive reasons...
But you can set up a privacy zone round where you live. I think the max is 1 mile and the merely curious cannot see any part of your rides inside that zone. Total privacy - and I've had cause to be grateful of the facility.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I’ve always found flybys to be odd. Yes it shows new routes which is great to see how I could add extra loops to familiar routes, but without the athletes being anonymised I thought it could be open to exploitation by people wanting to track runners/riders they were interested in for not entirely positive reasons...
I should first say I'm not someone who has an issue with big brother etc. I'm not overly concerned about privacy but only put in public things I'm happy to share.

Yes, I've always felt uncomfortable about people I don't know being able to see where I have been. I feel this is a good move by Strava as I see no reason why a third party should be able to publish details of my private activity without my permission.

I do have the privacy settings for my home area set to the maximum for obvious reasons.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I can imagine thugs in vans tracking riders down quiet country lanes and mugging them for their expensive bikes!

I wouldn't be happy for anybody to be able to track where I am. Yes, I know that GCHQ, the NSA, Google etc. can, but I am not volunteering to let members of the public do it!

I went on holiday to Devon with my cousin. He went off on a long ride round the county and set up tracking to I could follow his progress. It was pretty interesting, but I found it slightly creepy.

I should first say I'm not someone who has an issue with big brother etc. I'm not overly concerned about privacy but only put in public things I'm happy to share.

Yes, I've always felt uncomfortable about people I don't know being able to see where I have been. I feel this is a good move by Strava as I see no reason why a third party should be able to publish details of my private activity without my permission.

I do have the privacy settings for my home area set to the maximum for obvious reasons.

When you upload an activity it asks you if you want it visible to your followers, everyone or just yourself ?

You have given permission if it's available to everyone ?

Top Bottom