Where are Strava Flybys?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I can imagine thugs in vans tracking riders down quiet country lanes and mugging them for their expensive bikes!

I wouldn't be happy for anybody to be able to track where I am. Yes, I know that GCHQ, the NSA, Google etc. can, but I am not volunteering to let members of the public do it!

I went on holiday to Devon with my cousin. He went off on a long ride round the county and set up tracking to I could follow his progress. It was pretty interesting, but I found it slightly creepy.

Creepy ? Could be a life saver if he ends up in a ditch somewhere. My riding pals all use it - very helpful if you're meeting up somewhere (socially distanced of course)

PaulSB

Legendary Member
When you upload an activity it asks you if you want it visible to your followers, everyone or just yourself ?

You have given permission if it's available to everyone ?
My rides are available to Followers.

Just checked my profile and Flybys is set to "No One." I don't know about Flybys and if one's rides are set to "Everyone."

Great pity if most dont turn it back on,I find it quite interesting to look at fly-bys in my commuter days I found it useful for seeing if the guy who flew past me kept it up over 20 miles etc or was just on a short 2 mile blast. Also interesting if on a weekend ride and you go past someone crawling along and you look at fly by later and see he had just done 120 miles or such. Made some interesting cycling acquaintances via it.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Creepy ? Could be a life saver if he ends up in a ditch somewhere. My riding pals all use it - very helpful if you're meeting up somewhere (socially distanced of course)
Phone signal lost... No updates... Those monitoring see no movement... Phone cyclist to check that they are okay... CAN'T GET THROUGH - PANIC STATIONS!!!! :eek:

The cyclist is riding along a road in the bottom of a steep-sided, phone signal-free valley when emergency service vehicles fly past in the opposite direction, heading for where (s)he last had a signal! No thanks...

As for meeting up... Gather at the clock tower at 09:50. We leave at 10:00 sharp. If you are going to be late, text in good time and we will consider what to do. If you arrive late without warning us, chase us, or do your own thing instead! :okay:

Mike_P

Guru
Most devices do not track live but upload at the end of the ride so even if set public all anyone can see is where you have been, not, assuming the privacy zone is on, where you are.

Phone signal lost... No updates... Those monitoring see no movement... Phone cyclist to check that they are okay... CAN'T GET THROUGH - PANIC STATIONS!!!! :eek:

The cyclist is riding along a road in the bottom of a steep-sided, phone signal-free valley when emergency service vehicles fly past in the opposite direction, heading for where (s)he last had a signal! No thanks...

As for meeting up... Gather at the clock tower at 09:50. We leave at 10:00 sharp. If you are going to be late, text in good time and we will consider what to do. If you arrive late without warning us, chase us, or do your own thing instead! :okay:

That's a ridiculous scenario Colin. Your imagination is running away with you.

Plax

Guru
I use livetrack on Garmin for my long distance runs. That way Mr Plax can keep an eye on me, and if I get attacked /go missing they’ve got a location to go on..... not something I guess you need to worry about as a man though.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
That's a ridiculous scenario Colin. Your imagination is running away with you.
I'm not really bothered about the subject, but...

I can't see how a monitoring device can be a 'life-saver' for someone in a ditch if those doing the monitoring are unable to see movement, are unable to communicate with the (presumably badly injured? :whistle:) rider being monitored, but don't do bother to do anything about it!

I like a lot of new technology, but tracking technology is not for me. I'm happy enough for the rest of you to use it so I hope that your Strava problems are sorted out ASAP.

(My cousin set me up with a Strava account to follow his ride, but that was the only time that I ever logged in!)

I'm not really bothered about the subject, but...

I can't see how a monitoring device can be a 'life-saver' for someone in a ditch if those doing the monitoring are unable to see movement, are unable to communicate with the (presumably badly injured? :whistle:) rider being monitored, but don't do bother to do anything about it!

I like a lot of new technology, but tracking technology is not for me. I'm happy enough for the rest of you to use it so I hope that your Strava problems are sorted out ASAP.

(My cousin set me up with a Strava account to follow his ride, but that was the only time that I ever logged in!)

Friends of mine have set their phones so that everyone in the family plus their sister's family can see where everyone is at any time. Weird!

Top Bottom