Where are you planning to bike tour in 2018 - somewhere familiar or somewhere new?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bimble

Bimbling along ...
Just wondering if any of you have made plans for your 2018 cycling tours and whether you are going to be revisiting somewhere you've been before or trying pasture new?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Both :smile:

I have a plan. It's been a plan for a long time but with both boys now at Uni I might just be able to persuade Mrs C to go for it. I've always wanted to do the Outer Hebrides from bottom to top, having done part of it in the past and having read a number of reports about it from people on here. I would combine it with seeing son1 in London, what the heck, I hear you say but part of the plan involves getting the sleeper train up to Scotland. I'd like to do it next June/July but the work on persuading Mrs C begins now......

TrishE

Über Member
I'm planning to do the Yorkshire dales cycle way then train over to York cycle rally in June. Putting Bonnie in kennels which I feel guilty about but want to stay in yha and do more miles in a day than I can with her :smile:

I don't have a destination yet but after seeing the thread about the Isle of Arran, I like the look of that.

a trip across Belgium to place a memorial at my great uncles grave is another option.

I've promised myself (and the other members of the UHS family that ill have a week away with the bike on my own)

I like the idea of jumping on a train with the bike and seeing a completely different area from the saddle. I pass through lots of places in the course of my job and am always looking at it wondering what the locals etc are like. I think this sort of trip will be the best way of finding out. from experience, people are generally friendly if you take the time to stop and chat.

BlueFox

I have a few things lined up. I'm in a walking and cycling club and we organise easy cycle tours for our members, exploring interesting places with plenty of time to stop and look and coffee and cakes (rather than lots of miles and tarmac). We are off cycling in Puglia in March and in April we are doing the Italian section of the Ciclovia Alpe Adria Radweg. Later in the year we may do part of the Baltic Sea Trail or the Ruhr Valley. More information on our website: http://www.clog.org.uk/p/cycl.html

Polite

Über Member
Hmmmm, familiarity would be France but this time the velodysée - north to south along the Atlantic coast.

Dreams, I can't turn into reality due to either day to day life or time limits or family ill health, would be;

- Seattle to San Francisco
- Japan
- NC 500 Scotland
- Scandinavia
- Via Francigena
- Cycling the Danube
- Cycling the Rhine

Last edited:
Couple of ideas.

First is a tour around Wales. The rough idea is to head for the Welshpool area from home (Midlands) then follow the border down to Chepstow. From there head West and follow the coast all the way to the Dee. Back to Welshpool via the borders, then home. I've just started the detail route plan.

Second is to go to the Alps. Rough plan is to cycle to the South Coast, ferry to Le Havre, Geneva, nip around the Alps a bit then home.

avsd

Guru
Currently planning Girona to Mont Ventoux. An Indian meal and some beer later in October is required to complete the detailed planned,

Top Bottom