Where are you planning to bike tour in 2018 - somewhere familiar or somewhere new?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Grumpy_Git

Next year I have two plans.

1, to attempt to book time to compete the Hebridean Way.
2, to escape the in-laws and do a circuit of the isle of wight while on holiday, if I dragged that out to the whole week it would be more fun for all of us!

U

User482

I'm hoping to ride the Med to the Channel.

I'm thinking of trying to do a few 2-3 day tours to watch cricket so a day or two down to the ground, stay for a couple of nights and then head back.

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
Transcontinental Race...No idea where it's going but there will be big hills and barking dogs. Possibly a bear or two.
Good call. I seriously need to do this, but it will be LWL first. I just don't know if I can do it, I suppose you just have to go for it. One year I plan to do just that, not sure if it'll be 2018 though...

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
Maybe a drive down to Chateau Neuf du pape, then do a tour from there to somewhere and back. Then we get to fill the car with wine for the return journey (not that I drink wine)
You could do worse than head up through Nyons to Vercors & the Diois region. When are you thinking about going?

Dave 123

Legendary Member
You could do worse than head up through Nyons to Vercors & the Diois region. When are you thinking about going?

I'm very happy to take advice.
Probably the first 2 weeks of July, on the basis that it fits with Mrs Dave's work.

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
I'm very happy to take advice.
Probably the first 2 weeks of July, on the basis that it fits with Mrs Dave's work.
Ah, I won't be in residence till the 20-somethingth of July. But the whole area east of the Rhône between CNDP & roughly Valence is worth exploring. Depends how many days you want to spend touring, and how far you want to do a day. I'd comfortably get from CNDP to Die in a day, then you could head over Vercors towards Grenoble, head back south through the Trièves area down to Serres, and thence back to CNDP. You could even head a bit further east if you wanted to do some of Dévoluy - col de Noyer is worth the effort, if you like hills.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Ah, I won't be in residence till the 20-somethingth of July. But the whole area east of the Rhône between CNDP & roughly Valence is worth exploring. Depends how many days you want to spend touring, and how far you want to do a day. I'd comfortably get from CNDP to Die in a day, then you could head over Vercors towards Grenoble, head back south through the Trièves area down to Serres, and thence back to CNDP. You could even head a bit further east if you wanted to do some of Dévoluy - col de Noyer is worth the effort, if you like hills.

This will be on a tandem..... 40ish miles a day for 10 days I reckon. Not sure if we will be camping or under a roof.

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
We did 2 weeks around Brittany this year. While they weren't massive there were lots of them!
Do we like them?
Ish!
Well, the hills (well, some people might call them mountains) round my area are long and pretty gentle (6-8% typically, 10% would count as steep), whereas in Brittany it's probably a bit more like Cornwall, sharp ups & downs the whole time.

This is a hilly route: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/26485241 - I know big chunks of it, from about Valréas as far as Serres, the rest of it is guesswork.

If it looks too much it would be easy enough to make it longer, but follow more rivers - e.g you could go further north to Grenoble over Vercors, miss out Devoluy & Col de Noyer, etc. .... though you'd miss some stunning scenery.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Well, the hills (well, some people might call them mountains) round my area are long and pretty gentle (6-8% typically, 10% would count as steep), whereas in Brittany it's probably a bit more like Cornwall, sharp ups & downs the whole time.

This is a hilly route: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/26485241 - I know big chunks of it, from about Valréas as far as Serres, the rest of it is guesswork.

If it looks too much it would be easy enough to make it longer, but follow more rivers - e.g you could go further north to Grenoble over Vercors, miss out Devoluy & Col de Noyer, etc. .... though you'd miss some stunning scenery.

I shall peruse some maps etc. Cheers!

Top Bottom