Where are you planning to bike tour in 2018 - somewhere familiar or somewhere new?

Discussion in 'Touring and Adventure Cycling' started by Bimble, 6 Oct 2017.

Tags:
  1. Dave 123

Dave 123 Guru Photo Winner

I shall peruse some maps etc. Cheers!

briantrumpet likes this.
  2. briantrumpet

briantrumpet Veteran

If you wanted to go further north to Grenoble, a good way to go would be north from Léoncel to St Jean & Pont-en-Royans, up the Gorges de la Bourne to Villard-de-Lans, and then drop down into Grenoble. That'd be a stunning route, and worth every metre of climbing. Lots of history there too, of the Resistance in WW2. Worth reading Paddy Ashdown's The Cruel Victory if you're into that sort of stuff.

Dave 123 likes this.
  3. briantrumpet

briantrumpet Veteran

Incidentally, you'll see the route also goes through Beaumes de Venise... ;)

4. Dave 123

Who's she then?

5. briantrumpet

briantrumpet Veteran

6. Dave 123

briantrumpet likes this.
  7. briantrumpet

briantrumpet Veteran

8. derrick

derrick The Glue that binds us together.

February a week in the mountains in Calpe
    April London to Paris in 24 hours.
    Later in the year would love to do another tour of Belgium.

9. mike chadwick

mike chadwick Active Member

No but I did st malo to Narbone 2 years ago which was good did that in 2 weeks about 100 to 130 km a day
    Promised my self a more relaxed tour this year , out of interest what route are you taking through Spain
    Mike

10. The Lone Rider

The Lone Rider Active Member

I have got to Hendaye so far and staying at maybe Irun on the Friday night I then got to Tuesday for the boat back from Santander. Its still a bit all over the place where I will be staying only confirmed place is a campsite in Ponchateau and a warmshower host in Angles. Its a bit to earlier for any other host to commit, which I understand. I am not sure to break down my first two days into three, and then just go with the flow.

11. PaulSB

PaulSB Guru

I have an invite to a friend’s house in Sarrancolin in the Hautes Pyrenees. The current thinking is:

Chorley > London > Portsmouth (train) > St Malo (ferry) > Sarrancolin (cycle tour) followed by a week’s climbing before flying home from Toulouse.

12. dickyknees

dickyknees Über Member

Not as exotic as some of the tours mentioned but I’m looking forward to the Lon Las Cymru in June.

robing likes this.
  13. midliferider

midliferider Veteran

Fat biking in Finland in February.
    Always liked the idea of cycling on snow over frozen lakes etc.
    My family and friends think I am crazy. This time I agree with them.

Dave 123, r04DiE and Heltor Chasca like this.
  14. keithaitch

keithaitch Senior Member

Has this progressed? Are you using the bike bus? I live in Barcelona and have a house near Beziers so if you want local route knowledge is be happy to help. Fwi my trip fue next year, ayer this year's teams Pyrenees, is Girona, Berga, tremp, col de. Mente, Foix, Beziers. A sublime climbers route, 15000m of climb.

15. avsd

avsd Über Member

Hi Keith

Thanks for the offer. Yes the trip is on and we are flying from Dublin to Girona. I will post some details of our proposed route over the Christmas period as the planning is still a work in progress despite a rather nice Indian meal last month.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice