where can i get a 20 or 22 rear sprocket?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RedBike

Pull a cassette apart?

Why so large?
If you were planning on running 32x22 then you could always try 22x15 instead? (same ratio)

Then again you might as well go for 22x16, it's a bit lower but at least you'll already have the parts.

OP
OP
Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
sorry only cassette i have is an xtr which sadly won't break apart. however i have looked on sheldons and might try 22/16 instead.

red,

when i'm out on the bridleways i tend to find i am struggling a bit too much. also when i'm out out with others i manage to keep up on small inclines, flats & descents. so my thinking is, i can get away with spinning a little bit more and find it easier on the knees. what do you think?

my main worry is, the mtl bash might be a bit much for me on 32/18. perhaps i'm worrying over nowt.

peanut

Shaun I was suggesting that you buy the cassette in the link provided. Its only £15.00 you'll have 9x spare sprockets to play with.

I think the best thing you can do is tell us exactly what you have fitted to your bike then we can better advise you as to your opotions.

Please tell us Number of chainrings and teeth.
Number of sprockets ie 8spd 9spd etc and also the spread ie 12-27 or 12-25 etc

RedBike

I think 22x16 will be too spinny. 32x18 drove me nuts last weekend on the smoother sections/roads! I was spinning like the clappers for hours.

OP
OP
Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
red,

not many smooth parts on mtl. what was trio like when she was with you on the mtl? now i have my brommie my mtb only ever goes on the rough.

peanut,

i have a scott genius ltd 2005 which was full xtr. now has the crankset cut down with 32 on front with 18 conversion on the rear on a hope 2 hub. a half link chain completes the set up and has no tensioner. however if i have to go to 22f 16r then the tensioner may have to go back on (less tooth contact, may or may not slip).

i'm just a bit worried i may have to push more than i would like on the mtl. the last time i did it was ccw and i had full gear set up. so i can't judge if the 32/18 will be ok. i know trio has done a few times on a similar gearing but she is a lot fitter than me. she also weighs less, therefore less to get up the hills.

bugger it. i'll leave it as it is and if it's too much i can always bail when we pass near home.

peanut

sorry I didn't realise you were talking about a single freewheel sprocket arrangement on a cassette freehub . :evil: wasn't paying attention

RedBike

Trio was effectively using the equivalent of 32x16 (bigger wheels on a 29er) and she was giving me a run for my money on most of the hills. I don't think she pushed anything I didn't also have to push (I was on gears). Your right though, she is impossibly strong.

I will probably be riding 32x18 because i'm no where near as fit or as fast as her.

trio25

Über Member
I choose that gear as I would rather walk uphill than spin out too soon on the flats downs, that is when the biggest difference to your average speed takes place. On the MTL as red says most hills are rideable on a SS. I think I walked one or two bits he didn't and he is very strong uphill.

I use a surly rear cog as it lasts, but if you are playing maybe just get something cheap. Otherwise I've heard good things about the on-one cogs.

RedBike

shauncollier said:
cheers trio,

never thought to cut n paste. thanks for reply on other thread. i worry like an old biddy sometimes. just my age i think.:biggrin:

like i said, i'm going to leave it as is and trust you and red. i think the problem is that on the bridleways (mtl & others) around my way are really muddy, hilly, and too well used to get a good idea if my set up is ok for longer routes.

i'm going to use the money for a new headset instead, it's buggered.

Oh no, i'm not taking the blame for this one. When your legs are tired and shortest little rise is murder you'll be cursing me!

I've mucked around with a few different ratios now and i've decided that 32x16 is probably the best all rounder gear. Reasonably quick on the road and provided your legs are in good shape there's not much you can't climb.

It's that 'provided' thats the problem. The moment your legs start to go you're not going to get anywhere with 32x16 (well i'm not!)
Which is why for longer or hillier routes I have started experimenting with 32x18. This gearing is a little bit too spinny on the road/downhill but it's most welcome on the climbs off-road.

22x16 must be just way too spinny.
Here's a few calcs with this gearing....

Rpm / MPH
80/ 8.6
90/ 9.68
100/ 10.75
110/ 11.83
120/ 12.9
130/ 13.98

Compared to 32 x 18
rpm / mph
70 / 9.73
80 / 11.12
90 / 12.51
100 / 13.9
110 / 15.29
120 / 16.68
130 / 18.07

Compared to 32x16
rpm / mph
70/ 10.95
80/ 12.51
90/ 14.08
100/ 15.64
110/ 17.2
120/ 18.77
130/20.33

trio25

Über Member
Thing is when my legs go they are glad of the walk! Which happens a lot on long routes, I am predicting a lot of walking on saturday!

Top Bottom