Where do you Ebikers charge your batteries

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fritz katzenjammer

Der Ubergrosserbudgie
There's a difference between "do NOT do this" and "to prolong the life of the battery reduce the times you do this". I always charge to 100% before a long ride but for day to day use generally charge up to about 80%. The last 10% or so you will be experiencing either much reduced power or some BMS will cut the assist altogether so this should not be counted in the overall range.

But most range claims are nonsense to begin with as there are too many variables.
Yup… like he said! Decent systems will ( in theory ) maintain the power level as long as the battery can deliver and then shut the party off.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
There's a difference between "do NOT do this" and "to prolong the life of the battery reduce the times you do this". I always charge to 100% before a long ride but for day to day use generally charge up to about 80%. The last 10% or so you will be experiencing either much reduced power or some BMS will cut the assist altogether so this should not be counted in the overall range.

But most range claims are nonsense to begin with as there are too many variables.

I agree. Like you I always charge to 100% before a long ride too, and 80% day to day, but I did run out of battery on 2 or 3 occasions in the past before I purchased a range extender. My point is that these battery hygiene issues were never really made clear before purchase - although admittedly I did buy my first ebike 5 years ago.

Not really, batteries can be removed, even if with difficulty, and replaced. However it is wrong that in most cases information about charging, bike storage temperature and battery levels only becomes fully apparent after purchase.

There aren't any ebikes I'm aware of with completely non-removable batteries, but there are quite a few where it's a workshop job to change them, but it doesn't mean the whole bike is scrapped. In general they tend to be the lighter road type because to make a removable downtube battery you need a wider, heavier construction as it needs a big hole to access the battery, so needs to be beefed up to compensate. The fixed type, you can access through the BB area but the BB needs removing first. This allows a slimmer, lighter construction

In both cases I wouldn't buy the bike, a difficult to remove or worse workshop only removal battery isn't a feature I would want. Might not mean the bike is scrapped in case of failure but its not user friendly for the average person riding a bike.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Mahle X35 advice

3. Storage Do not leave batteries unused for extended periods of time, either in the bike or in the storage. • The storage temperature should stay ideally around 20ºC (room temperature) and with a relative humidity of less than 80%. It is important to avoid exceeding a temperature of 25ºC, as doing so may cause irreversible damage to the battery. Therefore, it is essential to monitor and control the storage environment to prevent any potential damage to the battery. o Store the battery or eBike and the charger always in a dry and cool environment, away from any heating source, flammable materials, flame accelerator or corrosive gas. o Don’t expose the battery to cold temperatures for extended periods of time. • If you are going to store the battery or eBike for long term, make sure to keep their State of Charge (SOC) level between 30% and 60% in order to avoid accelerated deterioration of your battery. Never store the battery or eBike (long term) with SoC below 30% or over 90%. Keep in mind that batteries self-discharges during storage. Be sure to check this level, at least every 6 months (180 days), to confirm that the State of Charge is in these values. • During extended storage or long periods without using the bike (12 months), please charge the battery to 70-80% Status of charge. Please, include a supplementary charge to 50% SOC every 6 months to prevent over-discharge. Not following these advices might have a direct impact on the battery life. It is important to follow these storage advices

Used to be 20 - 80% long time storage, now 30 - 60%, but later states 20 - 80%? Confusing or what? And how do you give a supplementary charge to 50% if you've followed instructions to keep it charged?

Last edited:

fritz katzenjammer

Der Ubergrosserbudgie
In both cases I wouldn't buy the bike, a difficult to remove or worse workshop only removal battery isn't a feature I would want. Might not mean the bike is scrapped in case of failure but its not user friendly for the average person riding a bike.
The better internal battery systems aren’t all that bad to remove. Take a cover off the bottom of the frame ( two or four screws ) unplug the battery, remove two screws on the down tube ( usually the bottom of the frame ) and drop the battery out of the frame. It’s not something you would do just for charging but if service is required it’s really easy.

I’ve run into some really poor designs that require removing the bottom bracket. This is usually found on the cheap stuff that’s not worth servicing anyway so I vote for dumping it in a canal.

which begs the question… why did I carry my wife’s forty pound e-bike into the basement for the winter rather than just dropping the battery? Oi! Such a doofus sometimes!

The better internal battery systems aren’t all that bad to remove. Take a cover off the bottom of the frame ( two or four screws ) unplug the battery, remove two screws on the down tube ( usually the bottom of the frame ) and drop the battery out of the frame. It’s not something you would do just for charging but if service is required it’s really easy.

I’ve run into some really poor designs that require removing the bottom bracket. This is usually found on the cheap stuff that’s not worth servicing anyway so I vote for dumping it in a canal.

which begs the question… why did I carry my wife’s forty pound e-bike into the basement for the winter rather than just dropping the battery? Oi! Such a doofus sometimes!

The first time I lifted an eBike onto the roof carrier I did not remove the battery, to be fair the rider did not remind me it could be removed but still thats a lot of extra weight to lift!

Dadam

True but the average person riding a bike can't even replace a chain so that's not really the criterion!
I have an Orbea Gain and there are several people on the FB group who have replaced the battery themselves.
All else being equal a user-removable battery is preferable but that does have a tradeoff that frame is heavier. Unless the battery is somewhere else of course but the downtube is the best place for it balance wise and inside the tube looks best.

True but the average person riding a bike can't even replace a chain so that's not really the criterion!
I have an Orbea Gain and there are several people on the FB group who have replaced the battery themselves.
All else being equal a user-removable battery is preferable but that does have a tradeoff that frame is heavier. Unless the battery is somewhere else of course but the downtube is the best place for it balance wise and inside the tube looks best.

I am the average person riding a bike, its definately the criteria for me! Ease of access for battery removal is a selling point on eBikes, that Orbea Gain process (I watched a video) might not put off someone that wants that particular bike, but someone else (like me) will choose another eBike any day rather than go through that process.

For people who keep the bike outdoors (i.e. shed, garage etc) then you really need a battery that is easy and quick to remove

The 2 I have - one (raleigh Motus) has a battery that is a big limp on the frame - quick twist of the key and it's off

The Carrera folder - you simply fold the bike and the battery slides out - you can lock it in place with a key but it works out fine without locking it in place

I was worried about the XC35 advise above - it said highest temperature is 25C - in summer - especially in a shed with a flat roof - the temperature frequently climbs over that - and that is the UK - other countries are much hotter!

Dadam

For people who keep the bike outdoors (i.e. shed, garage etc) then you really need a battery that is easy and quick to remove

I don't agree with need. Preference sure, it is more convenient and ideally you need to avoid charging it in freezing conditions so the ability to take the bike inside occasionally. Even my 2 removable battery bikes I more often charge on the bike as it's more of a faff to take it off than plug the charger into the bike, especially on the Cube - very fiddly battery latch system.

I don't agree with need. Preference sure, it is more convenient and ideally you need to avoid charging it in freezing conditions so the ability to take the bike inside occasionally. Even my 2 removable battery bikes I more often charge on the bike as it's more of a faff to take it off than plug the charger into the bike, especially on the Cube - very fiddly battery latch system.

Exactly - the removal system should not be fiddly!
My Raleigh is dead easy
the Carrera is a bit of a faff but I can do in a few seconds now I am used to it

anything longer seems like a problem to me if you have to remove it frequently - either to charge indoors, or for security, or to reduce the weight to carry it up some stairs.

anyway - I was just pointing it out mostly for advise to people who may be thinking of buying an ebike - as it might be useful information to help decide on which to get.

P..S. te newer Raleighs seem to have a more integrated battery - I have not seen how easy that is to remove so my comments only apply to the older ones!

Dadam

My Woosh conversion on the hybrid is dead easy. Turn a key, slide it up and forward an inch and it lifts off. Putting it back is the exact reverse. Takes about 5 seconds. The downside is it's one of those ugly black plastic lumps on the downtube, but I don't care about that it's just a commuting tool.

The Cube is a right faff. Battery compartment is accessed from underneath the downtube so you're bending down or kneeling. Push a button and remove the plastic cover. Insert and turn key. The keyhole is angled so it often takes a couple of goes to get the right angle. Battery pops out a few mm. Then press a catch to release the rest of the way, with a hand ready to catch it.
Getting it back in is worse. Locate bottom of battery onto contacts. Only goes in one way but you need to look at bottom of battery to work it out (makes mental note to put stickers on it next time), then push top of battery in until it clicks. This usually takes a couple of tries as the bottom might not be located right. Then you need 3 hands as you need to turn and hold the key while you push the battery in fully. Finally clip the cover in place and you don't always get the bottom tabs in the right slots first go either. 😩

Or, just plug the bike in!

Don't get me wrong I love the bike it's superb in just about every other way.

Top Bottom