Where do you Ebikers charge your batteries

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike_P

Guru
It's not just not charging on the cold its keeping the battery out of the cold. One sub zero night I mistakenly left the battery on my ebike and it was virtually dead when I took it out of the shed. A couple of hour later having warmed up it was back to a reasonable charge.

Dadam

It is important to avoid exceeding a temperature of 25ºC, as doing so may cause irreversible damage to the battery.

* Mahle advice.

Is that the same Mahle Smartbike Systems based in Palencia, Spain? :whistle:

1711652625718.png

1711652657574.png

It's not just not charging on the cold its keeping the battery out of the cold. One sub zero night I mistakenly left the battery on my ebike and it was virtually dead when I took it out of the shed. A couple of hour later having warmed up it was back to a reasonable charge.

There are temperatures mentioned in my user manual stating charging temperatures and storage temperatures and they are different

I do know that my range is greater in warmer weather.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Ribble Mahle X35 battery care Compare this with the Mahle advice posted above

Here is the temperatures guide:

Temperature

As with any Li-Ion battery, it's vital to charge, discharge, and store the bike within a specified temperature range. This will help maintain the battery's ability to hold a full charge. It is seldom something we think about, but even leaving your e-bike in the back of a car on a hot summer's day should be avoided at all costs. Doing so undoubtedly exceeds the temperature ranges quoted below and will have a detrimental effect on its long-term performance.

The battery cell manufacturer's optimal temperature range for the battery is:

• When charging: 10°C to 40°C.
  • Discharging (In use): -15°C to 50°C.
  • When the bike is stored: 0°C to 40°C.
The figures quoted above are provided by the battery cell manufacturer. If the battery is subjected to temperatures outside of those quoted, it may accelerate degradation. This will, in turn, affect the battery's capacity to retain a full charge over the course of its lifespan.
Rather different advice, which should I follow?

I did think the temperatures were rather different to those on the bikes I have had.

Maybe the person who posted the other temperatures can show the source for those
not doubting - just want to know where they came from.

presta

Guru
Even in the hottest UK weather, once on the move the airflow keeps these things suitably cool. We're not seeing swathes of summer induced knackered ebikes.
Batteries generate heat themselves, so their steady state temperature must always equal or exceed ambient temperature.
leaving your e-bike in the back of a car on a hot summer's day should be avoided at all costs
At all costs? That sounds convenient.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I've been looking at solar charger, I rent a garage without any power and the said garage is 100 yards away from my flat, up to now I charge the battery inside, not ideal, but so far so good.....but I should have a regard for my fellow residents if there was a fire, not too sure if something went wrong how I wound stand legally and someone was injured or died.
With this booster controller and 200w solar panel should do the job and the front of the garage faces south so gets the sun 8 to 10 hours per day.
What do you think.....? Oh and I'm fully aware someone could nick the panels.
View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Charge-Controller-Electric-Vehicle-Charger/dp/B0BNMLMR2K

View: https://youtu.be/QKYuYQ5G0p0?si=OHq7viHMERw9SquF

Last edited:
Top Bottom