Where do you mount a Muvi camera?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
thomas said:
That helmet thing looks pretty cool. Might get one if I doing any winter commuting this year.

Mags said somewhere that putting certain text on the camera might make filming illegal, due to different data protection act terms. I can't remember exactly what he said, or where he said it....but people might want to be careful about advertising the camera like that.

Don't quote me on it, but if you advertise your recording CCTV then you might fall under the Data protection act. This was hinted at by the Information Commissioner to me, however, I might have got the wrong end of the stick. You could always check...

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
This is the current setup

CamCurrent.jpg

This is the camera with it's external power source. You have to turn it on in a special manner to get it to record but it does work.
CamPower.jpg

This is the idea of where it will go.
CamIdea.jpg

thomas

the tank engine
HaloJ said:
This is the camera with it's external power source. You have to turn it on in a special manner to get it to record but it does work.

Oh wow! ;) How does that work? Could you send me instructions as I'd love to get my muvi to record for a couple of hours...especially when I go up to London for the day next week, it'd be nice to get some cool footage :sad:

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
thomas said:
Oh wow! ;) How does that work? Could you send me instructions as I'd love to get my muvi to record for a couple of hours...especially when I go up to London for the day next week, it'd be nice to get some cool footage :sad:

Basically a AA battery with the Micro USB connector plugged into the device. I've not actually tested the charge and record feature yet as I've not bought any AA batteries (I'll do so now at lunch). I got the information from this post :-
http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/view...sid=0ed72fb052fcb2605f4d564d820b761a#15944960

I did test with the 3 pin plug power source and it worked so it should work in theory with the AA battery pack. I've not been sucessful getting it to work with the PC/USB connection but then I have an MD80 and not the MUVI so there maybe a very slight firmware difference.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
HaloJ.

will that not interfere with your vision.

I find the visor (peak) on my lid cuts down on a fair amount of peripheral vision (especially in the vertical) and sometimes find myself with a slight ache in the neck when I take short rides...longer rides seems to allow me time to get over it.

Also, where did you pick up the battery pack, my biggest complaint about the Muvi is its winter battery life, it wont last an entire one way commute for me and never gets the last 10 minutes of my homeward journey.

Do you mind me asking how much it cost, I am also thinking of getting a countour or HD hero (they seem to be the best for what we do) so wouldn't want to spend a fortune, only to upgrade later.

thanks

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
jonny jeez said:
HaloJ.

will that not interfere with your vision.

I find the visor (peak) on my lid cuts down on a fair amount of peripheral vision (especially in the vertical) and sometimes find myself with a slight ache in the neck when I take short rides...longer rides seems to allow me time to get over it.

Also, where did you pick up the battery pack, my biggest complaint about the Muvi is its winter battery life, it wont last an entire one way commute for me and never gets the last 10 minutes of my homeward journey.

Do you mind me asking how much it cost, I am also thinking of getting a countour or HD hero (they seem to be the best for what we do) so wouldn't want to spend a fortune, only to upgrade later.

thanks

oops, you must have posted that as I typed the above.

Interesting, thanks

OP
OP
Cab

Cab

Thanks guys, the input is appreciated.

I might play with mounting it visibly on top to see whether that has an impact on how motorists pass me. It'll never be as bleeding obvious as the ATC was, but it'll still be highly visible on top.

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
The battery pack I bought from eBay. Buy two get one free. Thought why the hell not as if this works my partner would probably set his up the same way. £2.99 delivered for 1.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220555947426&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I actually cable tied the camera to the visor as a test and it doesn't obscure my vision. I only use the visor to redirect a little rain using bolle contour glasses as my eye protection and shade. The visor on my specialized lid sits quite high anyway and is more a fasion accessory. :angry:

The only issue is that when you're rotating the footage for viewing you get a little distortion.

EDIT : heh seems we're all posting at the same time. :thumbsup:

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
Update, please excuse the double post.

Ok, it seems it's possible to confuse the camera and get it locked in a loop. My MD80 now thinks that a PC is plugged into it when I'm charging which stops me doing the extended battery trick. For those with a reset hole on their MD80/MUVI's you should be ok. For the others, don't plug it into a PC and try the above power on trick as it foobars. I can still give the unit a boost charge using the external pack and I'll see if I can reset it using the 3pin plug charger this evening.

Jonny, maybe best going for one of the other cams after all. :?

Debian

Interesting point about the advisability of advertising the camera.

I've been seriously contemplating getting a hi-vis vest made with "Smile, you're on camera" or "Video recording in progress" or similar in big reflective letters on the back.

Where can we find a definitive answer to this?

Debian said:
Interesting point about the advisability of advertising the camera.

I've been seriously contemplating getting a hi-vis vest made with "Smile, you're on camera" or "Video recording in progress" or similar in big reflective letters on the back.

Where can we find a definitive answer to this?

I previously wrote to the Information Commissioner in Scotland (with regards to the legality of filming and posting on youtube (what I do is fine). You could write to your IC in England and ask what the situation would be with regards to advertising the filming. It might be ok, but definitely best to check.

Debian

Section IV of the Data Protection Act states:

Personal data processed by an individual only for the purposes of that individual’s personal, family or household affairs (including recreational purposes) are exempt from the data protection principles and the provisions of Parts II and III

That could well apply.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
HaloJ said:
Jonny, maybe best going for one of the other cams after all. :?

to be fair to the muvi (in all its guises) its a fantastic cam for the cost and is as simple as an England footballer.

I only really started to think about upgrading because of its weather proofing (or lack of), over the winter months, which left me with weeks of exposure to the road without a cam. As soon as I started to consider an upgrade I started to also consider other applications. Suddenly the ability to film underwater or on a snowy peak, or on a vibrating platform (like a car or bike) all in super HD started to look really attractive.

I still like the quality of the GO PRO HD Hero, it seems richer than the contour HD and a little smoother (possibly a higher frame rate).

Plus, it looks ridiculous on your lid, so stands out for miles!!

Top Bottom