Where do you mount a Muvi camera?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cab

I've mounted my Muvi camera at the front of my helmet, facing forwards. The footage so far is excellent. But its not as prominent a location as right on top of the helmet, where my ATC was.

Now, the ATC used to excite a lot of comment on the road, people asking what it was, whether it was a camera, etc. And it was my impression that looking a bit odder than other cyclists got me given more road space.

So... Do I keep it mounted where it is (less fuss, less noticeable) or on top (possibly a deterrent to close overtaking?).

Where do you put yours?

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
Mine is mounted on the top currently but I'm about to mount it under the visor and attach an extra battery pack as well for longer recording times and better protection from the weather. Plus under the visor I only have to lift a finger and see if the reflected light is green to ensure it's recording as on occasion it does just stop for no reason. Not sure how I'm going to do it yet but I think gaffa tape made be the order of the day. ;)

Mine was mounted on my helmet at the front,but as i probably wont be wearing a helmet while on holiday I reckon it will be on my handlebars.

darthpaul

HaloJ said:
Mine is mounted on the top currently but I'm about to mount it under the visor and attach an extra battery pack as well for longer recording times and better protection from the weather. Plus under the visor I only have to lift a finger and see if the reflected light is green to ensure it's recording as on occasion it does just stop for no reason. Not sure how I'm going to do it yet but I think gaffa tape made be the order of the day. ;)

Will need pics of the gaffa taped installation! :sad:

I tried mounting my MD80 clone on a bracket at the back, to get rear footage yesterday. However, I forgot to remove it when the rain came on. I think the rain killed it. ;)

hydridmatt

Über Member
Dead Centre, on the top, using the wall mount, zip ties, and loops of elastic to attach the camera to the mount. The mount should clip the camera in place, but looks flimsy and won't attach if it is in its plastic skin.

My wife already laughed at the skintight lycra, but with the camera sticking straight up, she says I now look like a cross between a WW1 German soldier and a member of Pan's People...

Oh. I've been wondering when this would happen. Does anyone have any popcorn? I'll bring the beer. ;)

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Stands out pretty well, (I totally get your point about having a visable cam, sometimes I wear mine when it has no charge and is not running.)

But I also experience HaloJ's probs with the cam just stopping for no reason, so find it tricky to know if its still on, when its up there.
IMG00315.jpg

thomas

the tank engine
jonny jeez said:
Stands out pretty well, (I totally get your point about having a visable cam, sometimes I wear mine when it has no charge and is not running.)

But I also experience HaloJ's probs with the cam just stopping for no reason, so find it tricky to know if its still on, when its up there.

Mine's basically the same. I think compared to the ATC it is less noticable to someone who [obviously aready isn't] paying attention. If mounted like Jonny it is still on show...and I have pointed to it at times/have a little fiddle with it at the lights to bring it to people's attention.

It is tiny though, so kinda wherever you mount it, people may miss it.

thomas

the tank engine
brokenbetty said:
I got one of these and cut a slot in it to hold the camera

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Respro_Hi-Viz_Helmet_Band/5360013399/

Actually I would love one with "CAMERA" on it in hi viz letters. I do think the camera acts as a deterrent to bad driving. People think better of being "a bit cheeky" if they might have to justify it afterwards.

That helmet thing looks pretty cool. Might get one if I doing any winter commuting this year.

Mags said somewhere that putting certain text on the camera might make filming illegal, due to different data protection act terms. I can't remember exactly what he said, or where he said it....but people might want to be careful about advertising the camera like that.

Top Bottom