Where in Britain would you be happiest

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Don't forget all the peasants that invade the town in summer as well. :smile:

Here, we call them midges, because they are pests that come out in the summer.
Mostly motons who are willing to sit in queues of endless traffic to get here then drive around in circles looking for non existent parking spaces before giving up and finding a convenient bit of pavement to park on.
Then it's off for a walk to find ice cream and chips to feed the seagulls with, before getting back in the car to join the exodus.
Maybe winter isn't so bad after all, unless you're a café/chip shop owner - or a seagull :rolleyes:.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
West Dumbarton bottom of the pile.

:hello:

I live in North West Dumbarton and it is nice enough. :laugh:
I think you meant to say West Dunbartonshire*, which, like everywhere else, has its good and bad bits.

Oh well, the less people here the better as it means less houses in the way of our views of Ben Lomond and the other hills!

* - That is not a spelling mistake, the town is Dumbarton, but it is Dunbartonshire. It is the result of the fact that the name has changed between the two over the years, so we now have a half and half situation of one having an 'm' and the other an 'n'.

If you don't want people mispelling your address or trying to correct you, then, yes, this isn't the place for you!! :giggle:

Last edited:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Stratford on Avon for me with 87% certainty. Worst place apparently is Herefordshire. ? Both are in the country which is where I live now, just in a different part IE powys.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I also thought about that (Mrs Ian would be keen), but agree with you, depressing in the winter, windy, wet and all that salt in the air would be bad for the bike :okay:

Next thing you'll be telling me that you're one of these guys who likes to keep his bike clean?! :smile:

I think a costal location would also limit choices of ride route. By my thinking only half of the area around your location would be accessible. Unless you count using a pedalo as cycling.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
"the scientists noticed that the better people’s own personality traits fitted with those of their neighbours, the happier they were with life."

No, really?

Where would we be without experts?

These kinds of things are usually daft. London, according to the map, scores low for 'agreeableness'. But London is as varied as the UK. Where I live people smile and pat your dog and offer to knit you a jumper, but a mile or so to the east and the pavements start getting noticeably stickier.

The scientists' revelation is actually one of the things that makes me nervous about any idea of moving away from the big smoke. As a born & bred Londoner, I'd not sure I'd see eye to eye with my UKIP/Countryside Alliance neighbours if I moved out, much as I love trees and fells and baa lambs.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Corby or Ashby in East Midlands with 79% would suit me best appaz, which is slightly spooky as I have cousins that live there! But it is too far from the sea, though much nearer Wales where I spend a lot of time.
I had no intention of moving to the Outer Hebrides anyway so that's no loss as a least suitable spot.
I live in Horsham which scores 74% but should maybe look at living in nearby Chichester 77% which happens to be one of my favourite places in the country.

Don't think I'll move thobut.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
"the scientists noticed that the better people’s own personality traits fitted with those of their neighbours, the happier they were with life."

No, really?

Where would we be without experts?

These kinds of things are usually daft. London, according to the map, scores low for 'agreeableness'. But London is as varied as the UK. Where I live people smile and pat your dog and offer to knit you a jumper, but a mile or so to the east and the pavements start getting noticeably stickier.

The scientists' revelation is actually one of the things that makes me nervous about any idea of moving away from the big smoke. As a born & bred Londoner, I'd not sure I'd see eye to eye with my UKIP/Countryside Alliance neighbours if I moved out, much as I love trees and fells and baa lambs.
That Lahndahn is a country in its own right.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I think I would be most happy living right in the centre of London. Somewhere like #1 Hyde Park If I ever win mega-mega bucks on the Euromillions.
I love London, I love the people, I love the buzz.
As it is, I have to make do with suburban hell that is Orpington.
I think you're too hard on Orpington

AndyRM

XOXO
Apparently I'd be happiest in Richmondshire and worst off in Knowsley.

Best near where I currently am (North Tyneside) is Hartlepool.

No thanks.

Simontm

Veteran
Best for me is Lewes xx(
Best near me is Nuneaton. xx(xx(:surrender:
But the worst is NW Leicestershire and strangely I go up there a lot and really like it both for the people and the countryside, plus some great pubs. :crazy:

Hi Neighbour, let's burn some scapegoats in November! ^_^

Worse is Eilean Siar.

luckyfox

She's the cats pajamas
Shanklin, Isle of wight. Although it's crumbling into the sea it held a lot of happy memories for me. Maybe not the same if i lived there all the time so I pick a massive mansion/castle... anywhere would do. Must have a full moat with crocodiles to keep out the riff raff. Guards and servants, lush green all around for miles and a live in chef...what was the thread about again???:rolleyes:

Top Bottom