Where is everybody?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Fermi's paradox.

I have just read this startling statement

"Kepler's discoveries suggest that about 20 percent of the Milky Way's sun-like stars host an Earth-sized world in the "habitable zone" — that just-right range of orbital distances that would allow you to walk around in flip-flops pretty much year-round. The proportion appears to be similar for red dwarfs, the small, dim stars that dominate our galaxy. (About 75 percent of Milky Way stars are red dwarfs, whereas just 10 percent or so are similar to our sun.) "

classic33

Leg End Member
Possible they don't want to make it known they are out there.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
8DE10F46-D583-4F58-99EE-A736E683A9B2.jpeg

Space is too big and too old for us to meet with other life forms.

Our window of existence is tiny on the scale of the Universe.

And even travelling at light-speed isn’t much use across vast areas of space.

Most of what we see as light from
Stars coming to earth now no longer even exists as it happened many millions of years ago.

classic33

Leg End Member
View attachment 442414

Space is too big and too old for us to meet with other life forms.

Our window of existence is tiny on the scale of the Universe.

And even travelling at light-speed isn’t much use across vast areas of space.

Most of what we see as light from
Stars coming to earth now no longer even exists as it happened many millions of years ago.
Where would the two Voyager craft be on that picture?

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I prefer Douglas Adams' explanation
It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Therefore, there must be a finite number of inhabited worlds. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near to nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely the products of a deranged imagination.

Thats a good point. Is it that technologically advanced civilisations have a short lifespan? Is it that they use tight beam radio transmissions or even lasers, so their emissions are undetectable? Could it be we are the first? I think Dr Alice Roberts should appear on telly to give us the answer.
I wonder how many of those planets have Dr Alice Roberts lookalikes on them ?

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I don't doubt there's plenty of life out there, but the ability to communicate (or to travel) across the cosmos is a huge challenge. I doubt we'll manage it before dying out due to war, famine, disease, etc. It's almost inevitable, given the rate at which we're consuming the limited resources of this planet.

Anyway, has intelligent life been found on Earth yet?

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
It's taken billions of years for life on Earth to develop to the extent it can think about whether there's life on other planets and listen for it
How long will life exist on Earth? No idea but it might be a few thousand years. Even a few million years is tiny in terms of Earth's development
So the window is extremely narrow. The chances of our window coinciding with another planet's window is really small. Almost all other planets life either won't have developed as much as us or will have consumed it's resources and disappeared

Top Bottom