Where is everybody?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
I wonder how advanced their cycling tech is, will they have frames made of dark matter or e-bike batteries doing thousands of miles on a single charge.

Hoverbikes surely ?

in all seriousness (not sure this is wise) but it occurs to me that there must be life out there - but the chances that it is what we would recognise as life, even if it existed in our dimension (see what I mean) would be pretty slim even if all other things align.

my thoughts are that alien life has already landed, be it on a comet/asteroid etc and is alive or extinct.

I also think that humanmankind (if that's a word) has the potential to be whatever it wants, to get where it wants and whatever it takes using whatever technology it wishes at a point in the future - the point at which this will occur I think, is accelerating towards us, what with the massive technology jumps being made already.

I might stop worrying about it all and go out on my bike

MikeG

Guru
.........I also think that humanmankind (if that's a word) has the potential to be whatever it wants, to get where it wants and whatever it takes using whatever technology it wishes at a point in the future .........

I might stop worrying about it all and go out on my bike

Enjoy your ride. You might spend the duller sections of it contemplating the laws of physics.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
One thing that bothers me is this. If there was intelligent life out there, at any point in the future or past, no matter how far away, should they not have travelled in time and sought us out by now? but I guess some of that would rely on travelling faster than the speed of light, so probably not very practical. I think I've watched too much Star Trek

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
One thing that bothers me is this. If there was intelligent life out there, at any point in the future or past, no matter how far away, should they not have travelled in time and sought us out by now?
That's an interesting viewpoint, which may hold some weight if time travel was proven to be practically possible.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
One thing that bothers me is this. If there was intelligent life out there, at any point in the future or past, no matter how far away, should they not have travelled in time and sought us out by now? but I guess some of that would rely on travelling faster than the speed of light, so probably not very practical. I think I've watched too much Star Trek

Maybe they are sitting on another planet wondering why we have not traveled to them.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
That dot is 200 light years.

Voyager 1 is just over 20 light hours away. So not even a single light day. That blue dot is 73,000 lights days wide.

There's some perspective right there.

There is speculation they communicate with Neutrinos but we are too dumb to recognise the messages they are sending.

'To get to the other side'

'eh'

'Why did the neutrino cross the road'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faster-than-light_neutrino_anomaly

PK99

Legendary Member
View attachment 442414

Space is too big and too old for us to meet with other life forms.

Our window of existence is tiny on the scale of the Universe.

And even travelling at light-speed isn’t much use across vast areas of space.

Most of what we see as light from
Stars coming to earth now no longer even exists as it happened many millions of years ago.

...and Warp travel à la Star Trek is not possible.

Top Bottom