Where is everybody?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

matiz

Guru
The fact we have no evidence of anyone coming back in time from our future strongly suggests it isn't possible

It might only be possible to travel forward in time so once we crack the secret everyone would know someone had gone there but we wouldn't meet them again for years.

OP
OP
Ming the Merciless

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I travel in spacetime, its fantastic and no one raises an eye brow

colly

Re member eR
The fact we have no evidence of anyone coming back in time from our future strongly suggests it isn't possible

I'm not sure that's the case.

Taking a huge leap into the improbable...............If time travel were possible using weird science as yet unknown to us, it would not be something that would be able to be done easily. So if the technology was developed the governance around it would huge and it would take, I imagine, vast resources to accomplish it. Probably vast amounts of energy too. So it would be unlikely to be done by maverick factions and 'day-trippers'.
Think how we now consider that making contact with any kind of undisturbed life (eg bacteria under the ice sheets or possibly on Mars even). The scientists think very carefully about avoiding damage to what is pristine and do their best not to affect/ destroy what is there.

If aliens, or even us from the future were among us would they not have similar moral constraints?

I read an article by a prominent scientist a who posed the question and even put forward as an argument for the lack of 'visible alines'. That 'why would they bother with a small planet with only relatively basic technology'.
I could hardly believe my ears. For God's sake our naturalists get in an excited panic if a new slime mould is discovered let alone a sentient technological species.

Edit: Just because you can't see something doesn't mean it's not there. A bit like fleas on a cat.

Hmmm, I keep an open mind on such matters.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gfjwCTxF43g

D

Deleted member 1258

The thing is would we want contact if advanced aliens existed and manage to find us? Would they come in peace or as an invading force? Or would contact destroy our culture? Its possible that we are known about but are being watched from a distance but not contacted.

D

Deleted member 1258

The other thing is alien illnesses, if aliens exist they are going to have their own viruses and bacteria and we would have to be careful about making contact as these could pose a serious threat to us.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
space2.jpg

Top Bottom