Where is everybody?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Interesting.
I've always wondered that, given the speed of light supposedly does not vary and the Big Bang has been calculated at being approximately 14.8 billion years ago; how can the edge of the observable universe be calculated at being 46.5 billion light years away?
Surely we wouldn't be able to observe anything further away than 14.8 billion light years if we were at the centre, or 29.6 billion light years away if we were right at the edge?
Can't get my head around this conundrum! :wacko:

OP
OP
Ming the Merciless

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
The expansion of the Universe is mot limited by the speed of light. Plus observable purely means that light from objects up to 46 billion light years away has had time to reach Earth since the big bang. It does not mean these objects are visible in their current positions in the Universe. The light we are observing from these objects at the edge left straight after the big bang.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
The expansion of the Universe is mot limited by the speed of light. Plus observable purely means that light from objects up to 46 billion light years away has had time to reach Earth since the big bang. It does not mean these objects are visible in their current positions in the Universe. The light we are observing from these objects at the edge left straight after the big bang.
So it's possible to exceed the speed of light?

PK99

Legendary Member
So it's possible to exceed the speed of light?

no. wet towels time...

Expansion of the universe
th?id=AMMS_6eb4d04de68c7983fabd9c4563ce4fa6&w=110&h=110&c=7&rs=1&qlt=80&pcl=f9f9f9&cdv=1&pid=16.jpg
The expansion of the universe is the increase of the distance between two distant parts of the universe with time. It is an intrinsic expansion whereby the scale of space itself changes. The universe does not expand "into" anything and does not require space to exist "outside" it. Technically, neither space nor objects in space move. Instead it is the metric governing the size and geometry of spacetime itself that changes in scale. Although light and objects within spacetime cannot travel faster than the speed of light, this limitation does not restrict the metric itself. To an observer it appears that space is expanding and all but the nearest galaxies are receding into the distance.

OP
OP
Ming the Merciless

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Objects that are more than the Hubble bubble distance apart are moving away from each other faster than the speed of light. You cannot exceed the speed of light "relative" to an object less than the Hubble bubble distance away.

OP
OP
Ming the Merciless

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Meanwhile aliens have turned up in our local.

Top Bottom