Where is this?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Nigeyy

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
And just because I think it's cool, approaching Iceland:

WP_20181010_15_15_23_Pro.jpg

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Well... here's a really tough one (I only know it was very soon after take off!) then:

View attachment 433764
You're in front of the engines, so row 11, seat F

Stephenite

Membå
Well... here's a really tough one (I only know it was very soon after take off!) then:

View attachment 433764
Ahhh... takes me back.

I was involved in the Environmental Impact Assessment during the planning phase of Manchesters second runway - of which you've just taken off from, i believe. Had a great summer surveying ponds here. Lovely area.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
OK, cheating somewhat by by using google maps sattelite view rather than a photo from an aeroplane, but which English body of water is this?

Untitled.jpg

Globalti

Legendary Member
My best mountain bike routes were all, er, worked out during hours of on-the-bog map study. The best map, as I'm sure @ColinJ will agree, is OL21, South Pennines, which covers some of the best post-industrial terrain in Britain, criss-crossed by old packhorse trails, canals, reservoir and quarry roads, turnpikes, footpaths, a fantastic area for walking and cycling.

When I moved to Rossendale in 1988 and began exploring the area I was blown away by the rich industrial heritage. I've worn out three of those maps ranging further and further afield on foot and 26" wheels. The greatest revelation was when I began to understand the importance of packhorse trains in shaping the network before canals, railways then roads took away the business. Packhorses gave us some of the best cycling routes in the world.

Last edited:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Thank the Victorians for the shape of our cities, towns and villages. They built the railways, canals, docks and factories that determined the layout, most of it so over-engineered that it's still in use today. You see it all when you fly over the country.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Wow! I'm really impressed!
Actually, I made a mistake - The body of water is Rostherne Mere NOT Tatton Mere (Tatton Mere is further south)! :whistle:

Honestly, it was easy because the plane has clearly just left the runway and is still climbing. If you look at the runways at Manchester airport, you must have taken off in a SW direction or you would be climbing over the city. The only large body of water that close over to the West and surrounded by trees is Tatton Mere in Tatton Park Rostherne Mere. Owen House farm has that distinctively curved farm track near to it. The nearby village of New Mills confirms that it IS Owen House farm. You can also just about see the railway line going to Mobberley station which is just off the bottom left corner of the photo. I can also see some overhead power cables which are shown on my Ordnance Survey map. Altrincham is between Tatton park Rostherne and Manchester city centre so that is the built up area in the top right of the picture.

@Globalti is right about the quality of Ordnance Survey maps. I do have quite a lot of paper maps but these days I have entire UK (minus Northern Ireland for some reason?) on digital OS maps at 1:250,000, 1:50,000, 1:25,000 and 1:10,000 scales and mainly use them. I have them on laptops, a tablet and most astonishingly (to me) on my phone. It is incredible how fast this technology has developed - I sold a used 32 kB EPROM for £20 to someone on my course in 1985. Yesterday, 33 years later, I got an email from a company trying to sell me a 128 GB USB stick for £20 - 4,000,000 times more storage for the same price!!! :eek:

Many other countries national maps seem horribly crude compared to ours ...

Rostherne 50000.png

Rostherne 25000.png

Top Bottom