Where is this?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
I flew back from Manchester airport to the USA yesterday. I love having a window seat and was gazing out as the English countryside went by..... I took a few pictures but am now really stuck on where this is -I would think with the moorland and the wind farm, and the large distinctive shaped pond/dam to the left below the windfarm, the football stadium and the large building just to the left of the engine, it would be easy to find on google maps... but I can't find it!

For full disclosure: I believe the flight (Icelandair to Keflavik) took off southerly and took a westerly turn to go north of Manchester airport, and I know 100% we later flew over the Firth of Forth with the distinctive bridge.

Edit: I found it! I took me a time though....

WP_20181010_13_20_49_Pro.jpg

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
What flight number was it?
Try putting it through flightradar24 and see if you can find it that way. Following the path taken.

Stephenite

Membå
I know this area very well! :smile:

Brings back good memories of bombing around on a mountain bike around the reservoirs there.

Last edited:

Bodhbh

Guru
The reservoir dead centre in the pic is Hollingworth Lake.

I thought so with one look. The OH lives next to it. The windfarm set alarm bells ringing as well.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Fascinating isn't it! If you've ever flown in a balloon or a light aircraft over your home patch you see all kinds of things you didn't know existed. Our milkman has another job as a flying instructor at Blackpool and we've been up with him a couple of times, it's a real thrill.

I've rotated and stretched part of the photo to align better with the Google satellite view/map of the area ...

View attachment 433707
I haven't got the photo/teccy skills of my pal @ColinJ to pinpoint my exact location. But I think that is me on my bike just 'off centre' of the photo puffing and wheezing on my way back home down the Todmorden Road towards Littleborough after one of Colin's scenic hilly rides :laugh:

Top Bottom