Where is this?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Years ago we gave away a small greenhouse "you dismantle and transport". A rather odd couple turned up in a Discovery towing a trailer with a son in his 20s who seemed a bit spaced out. We dismantled the greenhouse and loaded it in their trailer (just stacked the glass, I wonder how much got broken?) then invited them in for tea. Gradually it began to emerge that they were survivalists living in a fortified farm at a place called Keelham Heights that ColinJ will know. I went to get my trusty map and the son was astonished to know that a map existed and that his house was on it. As we looked over the map I began to sense an odd atmosphere, which turned odder when I suggested we might drive up and inspect the rebuilt greenhouse. They said nothing to encourage me and left. Weeks later I drove up the track in my Landy, to find a Pennine farm barely visible above a huge earth berm with massive steel gates and a sign saying: "Visitors, sound horn and wait. If nobody comes please leave." Nobody came so I left. Weird folk altogether.
I cycle on the roads and bridleways up there and must have walked some of the footpaths at one time or another but I never noticed the secret fortified farm - ha ha!

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I found one I took from a plane 14 years ago ... not in UK, points for just the name of the country.
Possible clue on engine of plane. Very easy way to find out for the tech-savvy amongst you :okay:

View attachment 433846

I'll give yers all a clue ...
It's China :smile: Mountains to the north of Beijing, not long after taking off :smile:

Stephenite

Membå
Many other countries national maps seem horribly crude compared to ours ...
You are right there. The norwegian maps are based upon either swedish maps of the same area from 200 years ago, and/or, nazi germany maps of the same area from the 1940s. Disappointing considering how amazing the natural world is here. You really have to dig deep, and from various sources, to find out the route of a defunct railway, for example, nevermind a packhorse trail. On the ground you find clues to old features but they don't appear on maps, generally speaking. It's a cultural thing. Norway has spawned great adventurers, but at mapmaking they are shight.

Stephenite

Membå
Where is this?

uk_fly_01.jpg

Part of GB.

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Somewhere near Canvey or Sheppey? (Medway/Thames estuary)
I initially thought that too. (I have a friend who lives on the Medway and have looked at the map of that area a few times.) I just checked again though and it looks more like Felixstowe/Harwich.

Your earlier one was Kielder Water.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Me too! (And also how I guessed Kielder Water.)

I've ridden the circuit of Kielder a few times, pleasant, but surprisingly hilly, 26 miles or so.

All on paths which are usually well maintained because Northumbrian Water spends plenty of money on its star piece of infrastructure.

Kielder was created to serve the enormous water demands of heavy industry, coming 'on stream' just as heavy industry died out.

The result is water is never short in this part of the world, and other regions look enviously at the huge amount we have in reserve.

I recall someone from Northumbrian Water said if it didn't rain for several years Kielder would still be more than half full, or something like that.

Top Bottom