Where is this?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
My last picture, but I think by far the easiest to find the location:

View attachment 433840
And one at 1:250,000 scale ...

Anglesey.png

OP
OP
Nigeyy

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Many other countries national maps seem horribly crude compared to ours ...

Oh yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes. When I came to the USA I really missed not having a decent map.

ColinJ

I think I might be wrong about Anglesey? I was thinking the island joined to the mainland by the Menai Bridge and I can see a big lake or reservoir on the island which looks like it could be Cefni Reservoir, but the coastlines don't look quite right.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I found one I took from a plane 14 years ago ... not in UK, points for just the name of the country.
Possible clue on engine of plane. Very easy way to find out for the tech-savvy amongst you :okay:

Mountains north of Beijing#2.JPG

OP
OP
Nigeyy

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Mmmm KLM =Dutch, but I don't think they have many mountains like that..... So I'm going with GE = USA?

I found one I took from a plane 14 years ago ... not in UK, points for just the name of the country.
Possible clue on engine of plane. Very easy way to find out for the tech-savvy amongst you :okay:

ColinJ

To be fair to ColinJ, the photo uploaded on this site doesn't as clearly show the distinctive red Firth of Forth bridge. It is there!
The 2 bridges close together should have been enough of a clue and what I thought was a big lake was actually the Firth of Tay! :blush:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Years ago we gave away a small greenhouse "you dismantle and transport". A rather odd couple turned up in a Discovery towing a trailer with a son in his 20s who seemed a bit spaced out. We dismantled the greenhouse and loaded it in their trailer (just stacked the glass, I wonder how much got broken?) then invited them in for tea. Gradually it began to emerge that they were survivalists living in a fortified farm at a place called Keelham Heights that ColinJ will know. I went to get my trusty map and the son was astonished to know that a map existed and that his house was on it. As we looked over the map I began to sense an odd atmosphere, which turned odder when I suggested we might drive up and inspect the rebuilt greenhouse. They said nothing to encourage me and left. Weeks later I drove up the track in my Landy, to find a Pennine farm barely visible above a huge earth berm with massive steel gates and a sign saying: "Visitors, sound horn and wait. If nobody comes please leave." Nobody came so I left. Weird folk altogether.

Last edited:

Globalti

Legendary Member
It could, but it isn't ... closest so far tho

So if it's not the former Dutch East Indies, could it be the Dutch Cape Colony now known as Cape Town? It looks too verdant to be the mountains around there, so it must be somewhere more tropical. You say not in the Americas so presumably you exclude Suriname and St Maarten?

(I would be in Cape Town courtesy of KLM right now if I hadn't bust my collar bone! Trip is now scheduled for January.)

Last edited:
Top Bottom