Where to go cycling in London?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Bayswater? Paddington?
Mymemory is actually paddington but didn't want to overclaim and the OP can always check a map. From memory it goes right past a big sainsburys at one point _ good for supplies. Not a million miles away is also a rather special spoons.

Edit - i'm referring to how far into town you can canal it.

vickster

Legendary Member
Mymemory is actually paddington but didn't want to overclaim and the OP can always check a map. From memory it goes right past a big sainsburys at one point _ good for supplies. Not a million miles away is also a rather special spoons.

Edit - i'm referring to how far into town you can canal it.
Yes, I think it ends near St Mary's, Paddington Basin?

avecReynolds531

Veteran
There's also the River Wandle path that you can find at Wandsworth or at Carshalton/ Beddington. No steep hills:blush: and mainly traffic free - it can be done on a road bike but'll likely be a little bumpy or muddy after rain. Well worth it - it's a lovely cycle route.

We've also done the Waterlink Way from Sydenham up to Lewisham which follows the River Pool. It's fine too and better surfaced for the most part.

Maybe another option is the Hernehill or Hillingdon tracks (sadly the Eastway is long gone). I think the Olympic Park also has a dedicated road track - as well as the velodrome.

vickster

Legendary Member
There's also the River Wandle path that you can find at Wandsworth or at Carshalton/ Beddington. No steep hills:blush: and mainly traffic free - it can be done on a road bike but'll likely be a little bumpy or muddy after rain. Well worth it - it's a lovely cycle route.

We've also done the Waterlink Way from Sydenham up to Lewisham which follows the River Pool. It's fine too and better surfaced for the most part.

Maybe another option is the Hernehill or Hillingdon tracks (sadly the Eastway is long gone). I think the Olympic Park also has a dedicated road track - as well as the velodrome.
Parts of Morden to Carshalton are a bit hairy on a road bike having done it recently! Colliers Wood to Wandsworth is fine however (unless wet when King George’s brick paths get very slippery, damhikt :B))

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Just follow the Thames Path heading West, starting at Chelsea Bridge. You can ride out to Hampton Court easily. The path isn't all paved but it's perfectly doable on 25mm tyres. There are lots of sights along the way. Hammersmith Bridge is closed to all traffic and pedestrians at the moment but you can easily make a detour across the other bridges if you fancy taking in a circuit of Richmond Park. The Park gets pretty busy at weekends if the sun is shining.

Have fun.

avecReynolds531

Veteran
Parts of Morden to Carshalton are a bit hairy on a road bike having done it recently! Colliers Wood to Wandsworth is fine however (unless wet when King George’s brick paths get very slippery, damhikt :B))
Yes, that's my experience too: there's a well muddy section not far from Merton Abbey Mills that was good fun trying to stay upright on skinny tyres:smile:
There are also wooden bridges in Ravensbury Park too - it's a totally pitiless surface in the rain - as bad as black ice.:wacko:

vickster

Legendary Member
Yes, that's my experience too: there's a well muddy section not far from Merton Abbey Mills that was good fun trying to stay upright on skinny tyres:smile:
There are also wooden bridges in Ravensbury Park too - it's a totally pitiless surface in the rain - as bad as black ice.:wacko:
indeed, we won’t bother going that way again (when I can actually ride again :rolleyes:)

Fergs

Guru
Ask that nice mr Google to show you the route of the London sightseer audax and give some of it a go one Sunday. It covers a lot of places mentioned up thread and will do wonders for your geography. I’d swerve the cobbled bits on the southeast section, though.

... I think the Olympic Park also has a dedicated road track - as well as the velodrome.

Olympic Park is generally a nice place to cycle anyway and is very easy to get to. The Lee Valley Velodrome Road Circuit is 1 mile for the full lap and is open to Pay and Ride for a fiver per session (up to 3 hours if you arrive at the start, I think. I sometimes pop there for a 90-minute blast after work if I'm working nearby. Or £20/month membership. There's also an astonishing 5 miles of tightly wound, well maintained MTB trails which you'd absolutely have to yourself for a fiver and which can be ridden on a gravel bike. It's criminally underused for such a great facility.

Top Bottom