where to strap on a third bottle cage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jay clock

Massive member
I am doing an Ironman in 2 weeks. My third, plus a load of half IMs so quite experienced. But slow!

I take my own sports drink and in the past have had two bottles in the main cages. They then provide new bottles of water. (You throw away your own bottles) .I have always stopped and added my own powder to the new bottles, but this year have decided to try carrying three full bottles of sports drink before switching to water and gels ( I crave water later in the bike)

So question is where could I/should I strap on a third cage? Possibly under the top tube? On the aerobars (clip ons)?

Not a great pic of the bike, but try this:

18889239_297578674025769_3039740155733737472_n.jpg

delta_425_on_ISM_PR2_0_side__41484.1449055623.600.600.jpg

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
problem is I have my huge toolbag there. and the number of athletes who lose bottles off the back is massive. I won a fiver off a friend last week when I bet him he would launch one off his "guarnteed not to lose one" cage

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Could you wear a running belt and hold the bottle on your lower back?

Or you could get a velcro fastening bottle cage and as you said put it on the top tube. Do you have room to put a second cage on the down tube?

U

User6179

I put a litre bottle in my middle back pocket of my cycling top, 4 rolls squashed down in tinfoil in the right hand pocket, 2 tubes and 3 energy bars in the left pocket, phone, tools in smalll topeak bag under the seat .

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I have a similar problem as my poseur bike only has one cage. I'm not generally a 'cake stopper', but I'll usually have a point (shop or unpoliced tap) on longer rides where I can pick up a refill. Are there any refuel points on the bike course where you could resupply? I have no idea how these triathlon thingies work! :tongue:

If it's hot I'll stick a second bidon in a back pocket like @Eddy, but it's not ideal.

PS you have mail!

Last edited:

Top Bottom