Where were you 29 years ago this weekend?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cubist

Still wavin'
I was still at Uni in Sheffield, but graduated later that year and by October I was working at Halifax. I have plenty of memories surrounding the tower blocks mentioned in the article though, including some hilarious, scary and saddening ones. Mixenden, Jumples, Dodgeholme, Hebble, Wheatley, and Cragg Courts. By the time I worked there Cragg Court was vacant/derelict, and Dodgeholme Court was in the hands of a private developer.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
getting the carp kicked out off me playing rugby somewhere in SE England.

I think I was playing for Brighton that year...

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
By this time3pm, I was in the Hebble, getting water pumps into position. Total of thirty used, with not much water getting passed the main road bridge. Ogden got the order to release more water.
Over half of the 80 gas bottles inside the mill either exploded or lost their valves in that fire.

@Cubist, Crag Court went years agos, Hebble Court was on "Happy Valley"(they found the body on the 5th floor). Dodge Holme Court is now derelict and should be vacant. Jumples, was home to the local "flying club".

steve50

Disenchanted Member
I remember it well, I worked with the contractor laying the concrete drive down to the loading bay a year or two before the fire. i was not living in the area anymore when the fire broke out and it was rumoured that it was started by two young boys playing with matches within the mill premises @classic33 should be able to verify this if it is true.

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
I remember it well, I worked with the contractor laying the concrete drive down to the loading bay a year or two before the fire. i was not living in the area anymore when the fire broke out and it was rumoured that it was started by two young boys playing with matches within the mill premises @classic33 should be able to verify this if it is true.
Not true. Fire(rubbish) outside was the source used.
We have met then, you worked with Alan.

steve50

Disenchanted Member
Not true. Fire(rubbish) outside was the source used.
We have met then, you worked with Alan.

I really can't remember the guys name, too long ago, I was working on various schemes at the time including the church grounds further up Mixy Rd. I was one of the guys tasked with driving the rather delapidated dump truck that didn't have working brakes. I f we have met I'm not sure who you are.

postman

Legendary Member
Farking thanks for the reminder.I was going through a shitty divorce.

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
I really can't remember the guys name, too long ago, I was working on various schemes at the time including the church grounds further up Mixy Rd. I was one of the guys tasked with driving the rather delapidated dump truck that didn't have working brakes. If we have met I'm not sure who you are.
Well your concrete survived the fire. I'd have been in a boiler suit.

subaqua

What’s the point
in 1987 . saturday was the same as all fecking saturdays.

Morning- into local shops for veg etc for sunday lunch . home and done by 10am , then out to wrexham park in tesco when it was at the opposite end of crescent road it is now ! , do wrexham shopping which meant walking all way up to top end of regent street to Lennons ( turned in to gateway and then somerfield) then walking all the way back but always going left through the archin argyle street then getting chips and something from Pebbles chippy , walking past Tandy, having a look in the window of Monks gun shop then back to car and down to my grandads in Rossett till 5 pm. god I hated it.

Top Bottom