Where would you fit your back light if you had one of these saddle bags?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
On the seat stays? Or get a saddle bag with a light hook or use the loop bits above the buckles? Smart lights for example have quite a tight hook. Or on your helmet or jacket

Also amend your thread title to say back light, not immediately clear what you meant

Ajax Bay

Guru
"Where would you fit your back light if you had one of these saddle bags?"
On the seat post, below it. Cannondale-hindsite-plus-rear-light
This type of 'flying saucer' light has done me well, and I can actually get it on the seat tube and it's visible between the seat stays, below a large seat bag (ie 11 litre). (Acknowledge PX link is 'waiting for stock'.)

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
I have a topeak dynapack which presents a similar seat post problem.
Choices as mentioned are seat stay if you get a light with a tight enough shim on the bracket. Or choose a bag with light loops.
I went for seat stay with the plus of it being out of line of road spray but negative of one sided lumination!

With a bag like that I'll make a small mod to fit whatever light you want to fit on there. Show me the light's fixture and I'll suggest the mod.
I will have to do something like that, but I just thought I would enquire what other cyclists are doing as a "workaround".
I`m going to use/modify a bowling bag. There will be situations where both the bag of choice and the light bracket requires modification. I think this will be case with my situation.

Attachments

• Bowling bag.jpg
    Bowling bag.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 50
I have a topeak dynapack which presents a similar seat post problem.
Choices as mentioned are seat stay if you get a light with a tight enough shim on the bracket. Or choose a bag with light loops.
I went for seat stay with the plus of it being out of line of road spray but negative of one sided lumination!

That is the problem helston90, the seat stays are invariably such a small diameter that loads of packing/shimming is required, and as you say "one sided illumination.

"Where would you fit your back light if you had one of these saddle bags?"
On the seat post, below it. Cannondale-hindsite-plus-rear-light
This type of 'flying saucer' light has done me well, and I can actually get it on the seat tube and it's visible between the seat stays, below a large seat bag (ie 11 litre). (Acknowledge PX link is 'waiting for stock'.)

Yes, if there is any area of the seat post still visible lol. On my bike there is only a short piece of the tube visible-enough for the light that I am currently using. Once I fit a saddle bag, the bag will obscure all of the seat post. I think the only option is a modification. I`ll fab something out of lightweight material to fit a light to the bag.

Debade

Über Member
I put my front and back lights on the helmet. (Obviously, you need to wear a helmet). For my back light, I put velcro through the helmet air vents. For the front, I use the attachment that came with the light and velcro it to my helmet. So far it has worked well and I never worry about the bags I need to attach to the bike.

Top Bottom