Where would you live in the UK?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

One of the thoughts I have every now and again is where I'd move to if I decided to return to the UK.

I couldn't afford (or wouldn't want to afford) London or the SE. More importantly, I'd want easy reach to decent terrain for cycling plus an active local CTC/audax-biased club. I like the quiet rural wilds and sod all traffic. That said, I don't reckon I'd fancy the far northern climes of the Highlands, despite it's wilderness beauty. There seems to be a fairly active cycling scene Devon way, that catches my eye, but I feel myself inexplicably drawn to the north Yorkshire Dales or therearounds.

Where is the UK's fertile cycling ground in your opinion?

Globalti

Legendary Member
Lancashire is good because on the east side you've got the Pennines and West Pennines and Bowland Fells and loads of empty countryside while on the west side you've got the flatlands of the Fylde, so any kind of riding is possible. You also have quick access to East Yorkshire and the wonderful Calder valley with amazing MTBing around Hebden bridge and Todmorden, home of Singletrack magazine. You are also within easy driving distance of the Lakes, Yorkshire Dales, North Wales and even Derbyshire.

On top of that you're close to Manchester, a fantastic city. You've got Manchester, Liverpool and Otley International airports close by.

Finally, there are around a dozen independent brewers within a 20 mile radius of my home in Lancashire.

tyred

Legendary Member
I rode around Guernsey once. Didn't take too long. I think I'd get pretty bored cycling on a small island, cars or no!
That's a valid point. I have an uncle who lived for many years on the Isle of Mann and people always pointed out to him how lucky he was but he reckoned it got boring very quickly as nowhere on the Island is more than about 15 minutes drive away.

montage

God Almighty
What Globati said.

I've only had experience on the south coast and around lancaster, and to be honest, the local cycling to Lancaster has completely blown me away. Towards the forst of bowland - some absolutely fantastic climbs on single track roads with lovely scenary and very little traffic, or towards the coast where you have smooth flat roads. Easy for chilled out cycling as well if you want to take family out on their bikes, with nice cycle paths up the river lune and the canal.

Regarding the climbs you have your long shallow ones and your steep gruelling ones - the views are stunning. I can see myself living here after my degree if there's jobs about.

South coast is a bit urbanised I find, depending on where you live. I live right on the coast, about 8 miles west of portsmouth. You can head into the south downs fairly easily where there's certainly a few climbs and less traffic. I'd imagine towards the New Forest way would be more fun. There's definately more traffic down there though, something I found extremely irritating when I went home after being spoilt by the lancaster roads.

No idea about audux clubs, but I've seen some very auduxy looking groups out honking it around the hills, so I'm guessing there is something.

Chamfus Flange

I wouldn't do Devon. My parents live there. When it's not raining it full of cars full of tourists going full on nowhere.

My money's on Yorkshire (in any of its incarnations) coastal rides, peninnies, rainfall similar to south-east but without the traffic volumes.

asterix

Comrade Member
I'd go to Yorkshire. Except I am already there. Until next week when I'll be back in the Limousin.

Used to live in the SE but wouldn't go back. Too crowded. Used to live in E. Anglia - NE Essex then SE Suffolk - not bad but prefer Yorkshire. Know the bit of Scotland around Inverness - great in the summer but not winter.

If I could avoid the sheep :thumbsup: for cycling reason I think I'd like to live in Aberdeenshire or the Scottish Borders; there a bit to desolated and remote for owt else though.

Some of the remote places on the West coast are supposed to be good but its a bit too wet for my liking.

Top Bottom