Where would you live in the UK?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Northumberland. End of.

vorsprung

Veteran
Nowhere is perfect

Lincolnshire --- too damn flat
Yorkshire --- cold in winter and the good bits have snow and ice on them
Nofolk -- cold, windy and stinks of turkeys
Cornwall --- has the most unstable weather in the UK, windier as nearer the Atlantic
Devon --- extremely hilly. I live there and everywhere else in the UK seems easy by comparison

I do like the Welsh borders myself

ThePainInSpain

We moved over from Cannock (although not originally from there), I used to totally love riding in the Cannock Chase.

It has everything, including a fascinating military history from both World Wars.

Add to that a plethora of canal paths and country roads, for me it's the place to be if I wasn't here.

If fact a couple of weeks back when I came back from an outing on the bike, the missus asked how it had been. My reply was that it was good but "it ain't the Chase". She then asked if I was I was back there. My reply was that I just wish I could pick it up and move it here.

surfdude

Veteran
cornwall because i live here already and love it outside the holiday season because its so quiet and the veiws around nearly every turn are just breath taking .

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Lancashire - for all the reasons given above.
I live at the very top end - I can have a day out cycling in the south Lakes, without having to put the bike on the car.

rualexander

Legendary Member
Scottish Borders - fantastic network of quiet virtually traffic free roads, varied scenery from coastal to gentle rolling farmland to more remote high uplands/hills, reasonable weather for Scotland, Edinburgh is within commuting distance. Not sure about the CTC/audax club activity scene but I think there are a few clubs and there are a few longer audaxes held in the area every year.

Suffolk, where I live. Has just enough inclines (they aren't hills!) to be interesting whilst having many wide open vistas too. Lots of little villages with tea shops and the maze of little country roads has little traffic on it. Rezillo and I often go out of an evening for an hour or so and might only see two or three cars. The only drawback is the abundance of tiny little flints that can rip tyres to shreds. We'd also like to see more cyclists about!

Definitely wouldn't consider the Channel Islands, too small, although there is a strong cycling community on Jersey.

Northumberland, yes but not quite the number of quiet lanes that I like.

Gordon

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Yorkshire is pretty good, although the area to the east of Barnsley is not particularly recommended for cycling for a variety of reasons.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Oxfordshire/Warwickshire/Northampton borders for me. Beautiful rolling countryside, some gentle roads if you fancy or nasty hills if you need to punish yourself. Also some lovely villages to cycle through, the Cotswold ones over to the west of Oxon are very nice.

Lots of opportunity for quiet B roads with little traffic and glorious views - makes you glad to be in Blighty!

Scottish Borders - fantastic network of quiet virtually traffic free roads, varied scenery from coastal to gentle rolling farmland to more remote high uplands/hills, reasonable weather for Scotland, Edinburgh is within commuting distance. Not sure about the CTC/audax club activity scene but I think there are a few clubs and there are a few longer audaxes held in the area every year.
I think the Edinburgh CTC have a bothy down in the borders but I'm not 100% sure. Quite a few Sportives are run down there and the one's run by clubs are ace (much more for your money); the Ken Laidlaw and Tour of Tweedale spring to mind. I'm not sure about audax clubs but it wouldn't surprise me , as you say its a great network.

Top Bottom