Where would you live in the UK?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I very dare 'cos I was born there and lived just south of the Tyne until I was 21
Fair enough!
smile.gif

There were some nice slag heaps and stuff too when I cycled round there. :smile:
Go west (of the A1) young man...

I'm a fan of northumberland too. You get a lot of bang for your buck- long challenging climbs but similarly long rewarding descents. You don't climb for ages and then lose it all very quickly, unlike other places in the UK.
cool.gif

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I do miss Northumbria for the cycling. Much as I like where I've moved to in many ways, it's too flat to be interesting cycling country, there's no real cycling culture, and I am now basically just a commuting cyclist.

OP
OP
Y

yello

Lancashire seems to be doing rather well in this thread!
Yes, much to my surprise, it is. It is certainly sounding the most attractive to me. That said, I'd want to be well north of the Preston/Blackburn/Burnley line. Something about that region makes me think 'grim'.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Yorkshire,
More specifically West Yorkshire,
Oh go on then Holmfirth....

Derbyshire, Pennines, Peak District all within 20 mins ride time.

Plenty to amuse for road or MTB in almost every direction, good links to major cities and towns for that nasty job that pays for the bikes. Decent
beer, a cracking music venue ( http://www.picturedrome.net ), and best of all.... it's not Lancashire :smile:

ventoux50

Yorkshire,
More specifically West Yorkshire,
Oh go on then Holmfirth....

Derbyshire, Pennines, Peak District all within 20 mins ride time.

Plenty to amuse for road or MTB in almost every direction, good links to major cities and towns for that nasty job that pays for the bikes. Decent
beer, a cracking music venue ( http://www.picturedrome.net ), and best of all.... it's not Lancashire :smile:

+1

(and Holme Moss is a spit away ! )

Davidc

Guru
Everywhere I've lived has been good for cycling, too many to list. Only problem is the UK's car culture.

The real issue is whether the UK's worth living in at all.

OP
OP
Y

yello

The real issue is whether the UK's worth living in at all.
It's not the real issue on 'my' thread! ;)

Yes, car culture is a problem but not unique to the UK. Though one of the reasons I'd avoid the SE is because there are just so many damned vehicles on the road.

I'm interested in the pluses of regions, as people see them. Given the shouts for Northumbria, I'm currently looking at the map just to see if there's anywhere I'm familiar with... striking out so far!

Ajay

Veteran
?? Since when was Scunthorpe in Yorkshire. Were you just back from a night out Montage?

Easy mistake to make I suppose, it sounds like it should be in Yorkshire.
(giggle giggle)

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Yes, much to my surprise, it is. It is certainly sounding the most attractive to me. That said, I'd want to be well north of the Preston/Blackburn/Burnley line. Something about that region makes me think 'grim'.
Nasty, awful, 'orrible! There's nowhere within an hour's ride south of that line actually worth cycling - dunno why I even bother owning a bike!

widdop_reservoir_three_cyclists_wide.jpg

newsholme_dean_wide.jpg

blake-dean-from-walshaw-wide.jpg

snaking-dry-stone-wall-trawden-wide.jpg

coal_clough_windfarm_long_causeway_wide.jpg

stoodley_pike_yellow_field_wide.jpg

sheep-at-the-end-of-the-rainbow-wide.jpg

cycle-chatters-11-apr-2010-thursden-big.jpg

mytholm-hebden-bridge-wide.jpg

shackleton-sheep-wide.jpg

hebden-bridge-snow-dec-2nd-2010.jpg

Grim. grim, grim! ;)

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Nah a man who doesn't like hills ;)
:biggrin:
Au contraire, I love 'em. And I love the countryside as well, for cycling, walking etc. But the urban environment is (IMO) where the Bicycle becomes king. Not all urban environments are equal of course, but having spent several years cycling in and around London and it's environs, for my money it's one of the most interesting and exciting places to ride, morning noon and night!

Ajay

Veteran

Hey, don't be too hard on those towns, they have their uses.
They make a great buffer zone to keep the Mancs and Scousers at a safe distance from us ;)

Top Bottom