Where would you live in the UK?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I think that I'd have to agree with Globalti, and for the reasons given. I like it here in West Yorkshire but the hills are all around so flat rides are hard to come by. Cornwall and the Highlands are great but they are too far from everywhere else. I could be tempted by parts of Wales though, except for the fact that I got the "Bloody English" treatment, or rather, the Welsh language version of that when I went to shops and a pub near Dolgellau!

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I like where I am now on the Western edge of the Lakes, beutiful scenery and quiet single-track roads. On the other hand it is rather isolated so it is a bit difficult to get to audax rides.

I never cycled there as I moved north before I got back on a bike, but the area to the south of Reading, west of Windsor and east of Newbury would, looking back have made some lovely varied lane rides, with a choice of rolling hills and a few steep climbs or reasonably flat if you wanted it. It also appears to have good access to Audax and other rides.

York seemed a nicely laid out city for cycling (not too big) and also had the Howardian hills to the North or flat lands out to the coast towards the south east.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I'm quite happy where I am.

3/4 miles from where I live and it's quiet rural roads. A little further and I'm into the Dales.

A ColinJ says though - too many hills.

Still gotta climb 'em to enjoy them coming down

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
That's a valid point. I have an uncle who lived for many years on the Isle of Mann and people always pointed out to him how lucky he was but he reckoned it got boring very quickly as nowhere on the Island is more than about 15 minutes drive away.

I met some motorcyclists last summer who had a friend that was coming back from the Isle of Mann because his job was doing his head in with boredom.

His job?

Long distance lorry driver!

I'd love to live in the area surrounding Rivington, Lancashire, fantastic scenery and awesome biking country. Although I'm only 20 something miles away in Southport, I'm not settled and will move as soon as finances permit.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Too much rhubarb blocking the views?

Too many segways.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Round Oxford way is pretty damn good, close to the Cotswolds, Chilterns, Lambourn downs, the flatness of the vale, the Thames path and the Ridgeway. Lots of very quet backroads and villages, a day's bike ride from Londinium, Bristol and the South coast. Fab.

Exeter (my home town) and sorrounding countryside where we rode our gas-pipe 3 speeds as kids is great as well, coastlines, Dartmoor, Haldon hills, Woodbury Common, plenty of variety and changeing scenery.

But my favourite place to cycle?
London.

Arch

Married to Night Train
York seemed a nicely laid out city for cycling (not too big) and also had the Howardian hills to the North or flat lands out to the coast towards the south east.

Well, I like it. You can go a very long way before you find a hill, or you can get to the edge of wolds or dales or moors within 10-20 miles. The city is a perfect size for cycling across, and there are quite a lot of regular cyclists.

darkstar

The Lake District would be a good one for XC cycling, and an area I've always enjoyed and aimed to make my home after I've 'done' London.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Well, I like it. You can go a very long way before you find a hill, or you can get to the edge of wolds or dales or moors within 10-20 miles. The city is a perfect size for cycling across, and there are quite a lot of regular cyclists.

I think it is a bit overrated because of a nasty anti-cyclist streak in the city, bendy buses, too many cars and a lack of bridges. It does have marvellous weather for cycling though. The Vale of York however is absolutely fantastic for cycling bar the odd stretch of road such as small sections of the A64 and A19. It's a pretty nice city for being a pedestrian though, unless you use a wheelchair.

Top Bottom