Where's the best place(s) to live?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dormouse

North Wales is a great place to live if you like outdoor pursuits, mountain and coastal scenery and mild weather. Manchester Airport, Chester and Liverpool are all fairly handy for travel and big shopping trips etc.

Parts of Cumbria away from the tourist hot spots and rundown towns would be my second choice....may be for when I retire. The transport links are not so good as here though.

Herefordshire. Hardly anyone knows it's there and it's a lovely place.
Although the real trick is to be fulfilled within yourself, not go continually searching for "it" somewhere else.:biggrin:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Listening to Today this morning, Thought for the day was Anne Atkins burbling on about the pros and cons of city/country living. She said that she'd moved from London to a village, which and I quote, "well served and neighbourly though it is..." and went on to say they had to use the car for shopping or have it delivered, nowhere was within biking distance (possibly for her, this is 500 yards, I dunno). Now, if you have to use a car for shopping, how is that a 'well served' village? 'Well served' to me would mean a decent shop, good public transport, all that. Maybe to her it meant it has a church and a pub or something...

Friends of mine have a house in France they are going to retire to. The village has a primary school, recreation gorund with tennis courts I think, reccycling facility, a bar/cafe/tabac, a restaurant, a little shop for essentials, inside the cafe, a Post Office counter, also in the cafe, a church, a mayors office, and a large town 5km away, with supermarket and all the shops you'd need. That seems an ideal situation to me.

OP
OP
domtyler

domtyler

Über Member
Good god, I've just looked at the house prices in Llangollen! :eek:

We could swap our teeny tiny three bed terrace in East London for a large five bedroom detached house with extensive grounds and panoramic views over the Denbighshire countryside! :biggrin:

Just a shame there's fack all to do there I s'pose!
Apart from the sheep that is!

:eek:

gbb

Legendary Member
02GF74 said:
I would say Cyprus - loads of dirt track to cycle over or Spain if you don't mine the foreign lingo.

In UK it owld need to be in the south for the better whether, Bucks/Surrey/Sussey if you want to say close to London or else over to the west - devonshire and cornwallshire.

For quality of life and people who seriously know how to enjoy themselves, i'd say Cyprus too.
If you ever mix at a family level it's the most ..i cant even find words for it...i'm dumbstruck at how they enjoy themselves as a group at night.
A Bouzouki night for them is just unbelievable. Probably the most enjoyable night i have had in a long long time.
You eat, drink, then eat again, then drink, dance, then eat...drink...but none of it to excess.

The women dance together, the men dance together...a slow, graceful gyrating dance. Paper serviettes shower all over the place, you're knee deep in them..it's so funny.

This is completely different to the side you see as a holidaymaker. Its a different world to the one we live in.

domtyler said:
Good god, I've just looked at the house prices in Llangollen! :smile:

We could swap our teeny tiny three bed terrace in East London for a large five bedroom detached house with extensive grounds and panoramic views over the Denbighshire countryside! :thumbsup:

Just a shame there's fack all to do there I s'pose!
Apart from the sheep that is!

:biggrin:

But what are the neighbours like? :wacko:

Arch said:
Friends of mine have a house in France they are going to retire to. The village has a primary school, recreation gorund with tennis courts I think, recycling facility, a bar/cafe/tabac, a restaurant, a little shop for essentials, inside the cafe, a Post Office counter, also in the cafe, a church, a mayors office, and a large town 5km away, with supermarket and all the shops you'd need. That seems an ideal situation to me.

I believe most British people manage less than three years before homesickness sets in...

Top Bottom