Where's the longest continuous freewheel in Britain?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Edgy Dee

Cranky Old Guy
When did it move to Wales? :ohmy:
:laugh:
I'm thinking there must be quite a few long pass descents in Scotland - including Mennock. I traversed both the Beef Tub and Dalveen passes last month, and didn't turn a pedal for about half a day each time.

Edit: Just checked - Dalveen is 11 miles continuous heading south west.

Last edited:

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Richmond park is 6.6 miles on the roads . I bet i can free wheel around that behind a twat driving a car and looking at the sky for the record free wheel .

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Crag Vale has got to be the one.

Long Hill Buxton to Whaley Bridge can be freewheeled despite a short uphill stretch but it isn't as long

Cat and Fiddle to Macclesfield is longer but there is an uphill bit you can't freewheel up

Woodhead Pass would be interesting with a really strong Easterly. I've got a feeling you could maybe freewheel it all the way to Tintwistle but there is a ramp there which will stop progress

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Gospel Pass southward to Abergavenny seems to go downward 25kms to Abergavenny but there may be small rises you coast up and over so I wouldnt bet a week's pay on it.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The Cragg Vale hill is only claimed as ...
  1. The longest 'continuous' gradient, so there may well be longer descents with a bit of uphill in them. As long as you could freewheel over the lumps then they could trump Cragg Vale.
  2. And that is in ENGLAND, so there may well be longer continuous descents elsewhere in Britain.
Cragg Vale climb sign.jpg

As for Great Dun Fell ...

Great Dun Fell descent.png

There is a potentially troublesome 0.5 km of flat early on but you could get up to high speed before it so if you didn't brake and went very aero I reckon you could freewheel beyond that on a bike with decent wheel bearings and tyres. I think there is at least one gate so you'd have to have someone holding it/them open for you. That would get you down to about 7.5 km. The problems beyond that are 4 or 5 bends/junctions, the villages of Knock and Long Marton, and the gradient easing right back. Maybe on an ideal run you could manage 12.8 km (8 miles)?

U

User6179

I don't know where the longest continuous descent is but my longest continuous free wheel was 5miles from somewhere up at the Carron Bridge Reservoir into Stirling. Maybe somewhere round here

The long line , it has a flat an uphill bit about halfway between loch coulter and bannockburn.

Edit- Couldn't see your link yesterday, that's The Tops to Denny , about 3.3 miles

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom