Where's the longest continuous freewheel in Britain?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Must be on th A9 somewhere.
But what about the longest freewheel without braking?
'Braking' - what is this braking? :whistle:

I once hit 88 kph (55 mph) freewheeling down from Blackstone Edge to Littleborough on the A58. It was on one of the rare occasions when there was a tailwind rather than a cross/headwind. It isn't that long a descent though - about 4.4 km (2.75 miles). The bends are long and gradual enough that it isn't necessary to brake on that descent (unless you scare easily! :laugh:).

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
Woohoo yes I'd love to hit 55 down there, I bet that was exhilarating! The gradient is very even so it's the nearest thing we've got to an Alpine descent although only about 10% of the length.

Ice2911

Über Member
The road into Biddeford when I did my LEJOG,I seem to remember an 8 mile downhill section. I’m sure @Ajax Bay will be able to be more specific on this. Remember being very grateful at the end of a long hot day.

The A93 from Glenshee ski centre heading North must be getting on for 10 miles. I've only ever ridden up it but it seemed to climb the whole way.
Yep, that's what I would have thought as well. Can't remember ever freewheeling it but do remember thinking I could have when reaching Braemar.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The A93 from Glenshee ski centre heading North must be getting on for 10 miles. I've only ever ridden up it but it seemed to climb the whole way.
Yes - 16 km (10 miles) to a small lump which which would unfortunately need pedalling over because after that you'd have got another 3 km (2 miles) free!

Glenshee descent.png

I seem to remember the latter-middle bit of the coast to coast route past Nenthead by the disused mines was a pretty long freewheel.....seem to remember averaging 25+ For quite a while.

The A82 coming off Rannoch Moor down Glen Coe is a contender, at least in the wind-assisted category. There's 17.4km / nearly 11 miles from the parking place just east of Lochan na Fola to a point just a little short of the roundabout beyond Glencoe village which only has a few, very small, upward crinkles as it nears the Clachaig Inn turn-off (about 7.5km into the descent). On a wind-free day I'm not sure whether those are spaced out enough to surmount, but with even a moderate easterly wind I strongly suspect you'd make it over them.

Of course, cars and coaches randomly pulling out of the numerous parking places might spoil it by inducing braking or sudden impact, which would be another type of downer.

Capture.JPG

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I seem to remember the latter-middle bit of the coast to coast route past Nenthead by the disused mines was a pretty long freewheel.....seem to remember averaging 25+ For quite a while.

The C2C from Parkhead Station to Sunderland is often said to be downhill all the way which it isn't but there's very little pedalling to do for 20+ miles.

Very long freewheels are theoretically possible, but would be interrupted by the many gates, junctions, and other restrictions.

I can think of a couple of stretches where it would be possible to freewheel for a mile or so.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Yadd Moss at around 22km?
In England/Wales, anything longer than this - which is more than 20km from the top (just along from Yad Moss ski tows) to Middleton. On the LEL route: I rode it at dawn of Day 4. I think you can carry the false flats after the Langdon Beck bridge, past the youth hostel and also the gentle rise (?5m) before Bowlees.

Last edited:
The C2C from Parkhead Station to Sunderland is often said to be downhill all the way which it isn't but there's very little pedalling to do for 20+ miles.

Very long freewheels are theoretically possible, but would be interrupted by the many gates, junctions, and other restrictions.

I can think of a couple of stretches where it would be possible to freewheel for a mile or so.

Was thinking about this bit. Not sure if the last 3 miles would be freewheel-able without someone to shout clear as you join the main road.....

upload_2018-8-9_21-48-57.png

Top Bottom