Which 2xAAA rear light?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I much prefer AA lights. Rears using them seem rare though. Can you recommend any?
Ive went rechargeable a few years back but the cateye site shows that they still make AA and AAA lights.

https://www.cateye.com/intl/products/safety_lights/

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Dansi Melbourne. 2xAAA, good viewing angle, 900min runtime claimed, battery indicator button (I think - not run it flat yet because my main bike has a dynamo) and as an added bonus, it's road-legal (complies with German StVZO). I think the same rear light design has also been sold as a Cube RFR and various other bike brands in recent years.

I've got a Cateye 610 rear light on the hybrid and a Wilkinsons £8 own brand jobbie on the road bike. I've had the latter for three years and it's stood up really quite well considering how cheap it is.

Both are good, run 2x AAA. Would recommend either. No need to spend bucketloads.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
+1 for little cateye Omni things. I use rechargeable AAA batteries and they last for yonks.

That said I also have a 2x AA rear light on my rack.

The models of lights availability change constantly. Cateye 610 tail lights take AAAs, are very effective and have stood the test of time.
+1
Even though I prefer AA lights i bought several of these for fear it would be discontinued and replaced by built,,,in battery landfill fodder that cost more and were less good. Also have a couple of chinese copies that use the same mount and cost £2 or less. Have proved pretty good and have survived rain. Generally I prefer cateye mounts for all sorts of practical reasons.

faster

Über Member
Either the Phaart Bleep Dual at £1.99
https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/LIPHBPDRL/phaart-bleep-dual-05-watt-led-rear-light

or the Phaart Booster at £2.99
https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/LIPHBSTRL/phaart-booster-05-watt-led-rear-light

Occasionally they are on a crazy offer for about 50p and 99p respectively but well worth the full price. (I have both.)

I'm a big fan of these lights - especially for the price.

The Bleep is a fair bit brighter than the Booster, but the booster is still bright. The Bleep may be too bright tbh - I worry about hurting motorists eyes.

On a booster, I've managed to get 1,800 miles out of a set of batteries on flash (and I'm sure it could've gone further). I know it's about 1,800 miles because I ran one for a good while and only changed the batteries when I changed my chain, which is every 1,800 miles. I have the lights on whenever the bike is moving - even during the day. I don't know for sure, but I would expect the bleep to be similar.

They seem well sealed - I've never noticed any water in one, but I've had two boosters fail due to problems with the switch, which looked a bit rusty - probably just a build up of moisture over time. Bleeps seem to last ages too - either will last thousands of mile, but note I use mudguards. I have no idea how long either would last when being doused on a bike without mudguards.

The brackets that come with them look rubbish to me, but I've never used one. I just zip tie them on to either the seat cluster or the seat post clamp through the clip on the back.

I've had couple of goes with rechargeable lights - they usually last about a week until the little rubber bung for the usb socket is left off after recharging and they get wet.

Ive went rechargeable a few years back but the cateye site shows that they still make AA and AAA lights.

View attachment 497176

https://www.cateye.com/intl/products/safety_lights/
The rapid 3 you showed is a great light. Very visible and as it uses a single AA there are no battery balancing issues. Makes it handy for using up older batteries. There is a strange issue with the cover bouncing off though which doesn't seem to apply to the front version. The front is my favourite front flasher, fine for any area where there is streetlighting. It should never have been effectively discontinued for UK users but we all know why. I got my last one from ebay, shipped from Japan.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I have the Topeak Redlite Mega rear light on all my bikes, runs on 2 AAA, lasts for bloody ages

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Topeak-Red...MIrqaNo4vF5gIViLPtCh0Vdgp0EAQYAiABEgLP9fD_BwE

OP
OP
Svendo

Svendo

Guru
Thanks for all the considered responses. Interestingly the Topeak light looks like a ‘reimagining’ of the Smart r1.

DSK

I have this Cateye on the back of my Trek. I have the USB rapid mini on the other.

The battery operated one's performance is staggering and I think its due to the way Cateye design the reflectors around the LEDs that makes them perform exceptionally delivering bright, wide field of view and functional lighting.

I have this Cateye on the back of my Trek. I have the USB rapid mini on the other.

The battery operated one's performance is staggering and I think its due to the way Cateye design the reflectors around the LEDs that makes them perform exceptionally delivering bright, wide field of view and functional lighting.
I bought several of those as was concerned that with the onward march of usb it would be discontinued.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Budget option is the "mycycle" 5 LED light from several cheap shops for about £1. Not really legal but nor are most lights suggested above and no-one is likely to question it as long as you point it backwards and don't strobe. The on button is a bit easy to press, so keep it boxed when bagged.

View attachment 497172

They are both well-sealed against the elements and have survived several years of dreich Glasgow weather unscathed. The red plastic housing snaps very tightly against the rubber seal so there's probably no need to do what I do with lesser seals and smear a wee bit of Vaseline around them. The only other thing I can think of at the moment is that they both use the same mount.
These used to be sold on Ebay for next to nothing. I probably have at least 8 maybe more on trailers and bikes. Had them for years still going strong. Alas not selling them anymore but found ones similar using same fittings. Lasted maybe 6 months then they wouldn't turn off a month or so later wouldn't turn on. Bugger. Still keep an eye for the one above. Great brightness and very very waterproof. Buy them if you find them. I do agree with the AA bit though. I believe they last 2.5 times longer. I rarely use rechargeable for rear lights. Full brightness then protection kicks in and they go out and you don't know. Have tried mix one rechargeable and one disposable this way you can spot the rechargeable needs charging because the light isn't as bright. Not really a great idea. Memory fails me when it comes to remembering to recharge. As an aside, Which rates as IKEA rechargeable as best buy. Very good capacity and dirt cheap. Just noticed not showing picture I am referring to the bottom light

Top Bottom