Which 3rd party liability cyclist insurance?

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by I like Skol, 12 Mar 2019.

1. le_al_khemista

le_al_khemista Regular

Skol, what home insurer are you with, out of curiosity? I'm in search of a similar deal.

2. OP
    OP
    I like Skol

I like Skol Hold my beer and watch this....

Barclays.

3. pjd57

pjd57 Über Member

Read this thread and joined BC.
    Peace of mind and it means I can reply to the " no insurance" remarks .

flake99please and classic33 like this.
  4. classic33

classic33 Legendary Member

https://www.hotukdeals.com/vouchers/britishcycling.org.uk

5. BCF (as it was) for probably 25 years

Never needed it, but it's there as a 'safety net', & as another quietener in the usual arguments/discussions about "bl**dy cyclists!"

6. LeetleGreyCells

LeetleGreyCells Reinvented for 2019 - Formerly RealLeeHimself

Snap! I joined on Thursday. Pleased I got 60% off too (affiliated club and direct debit discounts).

7. glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist Charming but somewhat feckless

When it came to renewal I switched from BC to CUK because the former would not cover me in any claim against another BC member. The chances might be slim but I didn't see the point in limiting my cover that way.

Another thing to watch out for is (certainly with CUK) that affiliate members do not get the free legal cover, only the insurance. Something to consider if you join via a local club or group at reduced price.

I like Skol likes this.
  8. vickster

vickster Legendary Member

I can’t imagine cuk would either. SG wouldn’t be able to represent both parties in the same case (which is why BC/Leigh Day won’t)

9. glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist Charming but somewhat feckless

They definitely cover it. I couldn't isolate the relevant FAQ to copy and paste it so here's the link to the pdf. See questions 6 and 7 >> https://www.cyclinguk.org/sites/default/files/document/2019/01/2018_19_third_party_faqs_.pdf

10. mjr

mjr Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next

Many do, either included or as an option. It's an annoying disservice by the big cycling orgs that they imply their TP insurance is desirable. I can see why people might be attracted by the preferential help with claiming off a motorist, but the TP cover seems oversold.

And if anyone is considering BC, check whether any meds you take are banned, as last time I checked, all members must obey antidoping rules, not only race licensees, bizarrely.

11. vickster

Can’t see anything about it other than for racing (here or abroad) or certain overseas sportives/events

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/a...-Riding-Abroad---Top-Tips-Before-You-Travel-0

12. kynikos

kynikos Well-Known Member

Aviva home policy:
    £5m third party
    £100k legal costs if I'm the injured party and I go after someone (provided the lawyers think it's winnable)

13. Reiver

Reiver Ribbit Ribbit

what am I looking for in my household policy to show that they would cover me if I caused an accident with another vehicle ? including any legal fight on my behalf ?

14. kynikos

kynikos Well-Known Member

• Personal Liability - what you do to someone else and your fault (this would cover any legal costs involved in defending yourself) - likely to be £1m+. Read the terms to see what cover you have.
    • Legal Services - what someone else does to you and you want to pursue them - if present this will be a smaller amount. Again, read the terms!
    Actual terms used may differ but will be similar. If in doubt, give your insurance co. a ring.

If you have house insurance it's always worth checking before you look at a standalone policy.

Last edited: 17 Mar 2019 at 12:00
  15. vickster

Normally legal cover is a paid for extra so see if you ticked the box

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice