Which 3rd party liability cyclist insurance?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

le_al_khemista

Great. Just spoke to my home insurer to confirm the details. My home contents insurance policy includes liability up to 2 million as standard and I have legal cover added on to that so I have no need to get separate insurance :okay:

I ran through a few scenarios with them and there is no doubt that I am covered for my intended use. They will pay out for damage to property if a collision is my fault (i.e I hit a car) and will pay for injuring a third party when I am cycling, just the same as if I accidentally tripped someone up in the street.

Skol, what home insurer are you with, out of curiosity? I'm in search of a similar deal.

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Skol, what home insurer are you with, out of curiosity? I'm in search of a similar deal.
Barclays.

classic33

Leg End Member
I hear ya! It does seem to stack up this way. Ignoring the £1 million Wiggle no frills option that is too basic to consider really, BC has the lowest price, highest level of indemnity (although once you get over a few million I don't suppose that is really an issue?), legal protection and no excess. Tick, tick, tick and tick. All the boxes in one go.

Anybody aware of any discount codes/offers..... :whistle:
https://www.hotukdeals.com/vouchers/britishcycling.org.uk

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
When it came to renewal I switched from BC to CUK because the former would not cover me in any claim against another BC member. The chances might be slim but I didn't see the point in limiting my cover that way.

Another thing to watch out for is (certainly with CUK) that affiliate members do not get the free legal cover, only the insurance. Something to consider if you join via a local club or group at reduced price.

vickster

Legendary Member
When it came to renewal I switched from BC to CUK because the former would not cover me in any claim against another BC member. The chances might be slim but I didn't see the point in limiting my cover that way.

Another thing to watch out for is (certainly with CUK) that affiliate members do not get the free legal cover, only the insurance. Something to consider if you join via a local club or group at reduced price.
I can’t imagine cuk would either. SG wouldn’t be able to represent both parties in the same case (which is why BC/Leigh Day won’t)

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I can’t imagine cuk would either. SG wouldn’t be able to represent both parties in the same case (which is why BC/Leigh Day won’t)

They definitely cover it. I couldn't isolate the relevant FAQ to copy and paste it so here's the link to the pdf. See questions 6 and 7 >> https://www.cyclinguk.org/sites/default/files/document/2019/01/2018_19_third_party_faqs_.pdf

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Great. Just spoke to my home insurer to confirm the details. My home contents insurance policy includes liability up to 2 million as standard and I have legal cover added on to that so I have no need to get separate insurance :okay:

I ran through a few scenarios with them and there is no doubt that I am covered for my intended use. They will pay out for damage to property if a collision is my fault (i.e I hit a car) and will pay for injuring a third party when I am cycling, just the same as if I accidentally tripped someone up in the street.
Many do, either included or as an option. It's an annoying disservice by the big cycling orgs that they imply their TP insurance is desirable. I can see why people might be attracted by the preferential help with claiming off a motorist, but the TP cover seems oversold.

And if anyone is considering BC, check whether any meds you take are banned, as last time I checked, all members must obey antidoping rules, not only race licensees, bizarrely.

vickster

Legendary Member
Many do, either included or as an option. It's an annoying disservice by the big cycling orgs that they imply their TP insurance is desirable. I can see why people might be attracted by the preferential help with claiming off a motorist, but the TP cover seems oversold.

And if anyone is considering BC, check whether any meds you take are banned, as last time I checked, all members must obey antidoping rules, not only race licensees, bizarrely.
Can’t see anything about it other than for racing (here or abroad) or certain overseas sportives/events

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/a...-Riding-Abroad---Top-Tips-Before-You-Travel-0

kynikos

Veteran
Aviva home policy:
£5m third party
£100k legal costs if I'm the injured party and I go after someone (provided the lawyers think it's winnable)

kynikos

Veteran
[QUOTE 5570272, member: 9609"]what am I looking for in my household policy to show that they would cover me if I caused an accident with another vehicle ? including any legal fight on my behalf ?[/QUOTE]

• Personal Liability - what you do to someone else and your fault (this would cover any legal costs involved in defending yourself) - likely to be £1m+. Read the terms to see what cover you have.
  • Legal Services - what someone else does to you and you want to pursue them - if present this will be a smaller amount. Again, read the terms!
Actual terms used may differ but will be similar. If in doubt, give your insurance co. a ring.

If you have house insurance it's always worth checking before you look at a standalone policy.

Last edited:
Top Bottom