Which bike to get? Aluminium v carbon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swh1

Hi there!
Looking for a bit of help with regards to buying my next bike. Still very new to the world of cycling so any advice would be brilliant!
Looking at spending around £1500, and unsure whether to do low end carbon or higher spec aluminium. From my research I am torn between three options; do i go for the...
Cannondale SuperSix EVO Carbon 105 5 Elite Road Bike 2015
or
Canyon Ultimate CF SL 7.0
and finally, the only aluminium bike of the three but the highest spec group set;
Canyon Ultimate AL SLX 9.0.

I would love any advice, and other options!!

Cheers

Peteaud

Veteran
For me the Dale supersix.

Only because mine is so damn good.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
At that price point your carbon bike will have lower spec'd gear than the Ali. You pays your money...etc. the carbon bike will of course be lighter.

vickster

Legendary Member
The German superlight alu's are pretty light, especially with lighter components :smile:

I'd get the one that feels best on riding...do you have mates with the Canyons?

Hunt around you might find an older model of the C'dale for example with Ultegra/a higher SRAM set

OP
OP
swh1

swh1

Thanks a lot! On the canyon website it shows the aluminium as a lighter frame, then with the ultegra groupset it feels like the obvious choice. Or am I being stupid and missing something obvious??

Cheers!
What about groupsets on them though??
Not sure what group is on...Guess a 105 ?

OP
OP
swh1

swh1

105 is as good as ultegra if not the same ...
Still the canyon ...:smile: But as said go and ride the bikes you like First Then you can be sure

What are the main differences between the ultegra and 105?
Thanks for the help! Will try and find one to ride!

Or the one you've missed.........Cannondale CAAD10 :thumbsup:

Your budget would get you 105 with change, or an extra 200 would get you the black frame with Ultegra :wub:

Don't get hung up on gearing though, (105 v Ultegra and all that), just buy the very best frame your budget will allow, everything else is just gravy.

FWIW here's my DA version* ^_^

IMG_1104.JPG

*this was taken at the time of purchase, some changes have been made since but the bike will always be amazing regardless :becool:

For me the Dale supersix. Only because mine is so damn good.

Bias is a bitch innit Pete? :laugh: Which I could do something with my own ^_^

Last edited:
Probably Just cosmetic looks (colours/carbon) Etc .... think the body(internal workings) on the shifters will be the same
They both will run as smooth as silk ! Dura Ace is in a different Field altogether

Last edited:
Top Bottom