Which bike to get? Aluminium v carbon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Check with your LBS first I'd say. I know a couple of shops that won't work on any bikes they haven't sold, madness IMO but you'd be up $h1t creek with your Canyon if you were relying on them to fettle it on their behalf.

This might be an isolated possibility, but a possibility it is.

@swh1, just check your LBS would be happy doing this in the event you bought a Canyon and it needed fettling, I'm sure most would but knowledge is power and all that :thumbsup:

Caynon sounding attractive
They also look attractive...:smile:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
And Nigel's bike really looks the mutts nuts...

Like Cannondale, Canyon are a pro-peleton brand. A very professional outfit and especially being an online retailer they live by their very good and highly regarded reputation and from what I have heard from people who own Canyon's, it's spot on.

I do agree with Vickster that if your not handy with a spanner then get a bike from a bike store and use their servicing, however as Mr Smokeysmoo has also rightly said, have a chat with your LBS and let them know your plans. ie You will buy a Canyon but would like them to do the servicing, mechanical's and tweaks etc.

Thanks for the advice! Will go to my LBS and check it out!
FWIW I've had 3 bikes from Wiggle in the past. All came well set up and needed minimal fettling to get them dialled in. Just straightened the bars, fitted my pedals and checked the tyre pressures. The saddle was virtually spot on as well because they asked for your in seam measurement on the order form.

Also, if you're happy doing your own basic fettling then don't get hung up 'free' 6 week services either, I've never taken a bike back for one TBH. It's very basic stuff and doesn't affect your warranty. Out of curiosity ask them how much they'll knock off if you don't have it, I'll bet it's nowt ;)

All said and done I'd rather buy from an LBS, it's a far nicer experience than dealing with remote servers and faceless emails.

OP
OP
swh1

swh1

Thanks smokeysmoo! well in most cases carbon! But as the alu caynon comes out lighter and better groupset is that better than carbon! But then plan to upgrade I suppose carbon is better?

Thanks smokeysmoo! well in most cases carbon! But as the alu caynon comes out lighter and better groupset is that better than carbon! But then plan to upgrade I suppose carbon is better?
No problem. If you don't mind me saying though it does sound as though you're making the classic mistake of presuming carbon is an upgrade over alu.

For fear of sounding like a stuck record, it isn't. It's just another material from which bicycle frames are manufactured. Some say carbon reduces road buzz over alu, but IME, (and I've owned both, and steel too), I can't say I notice any difference between alu and cf.

If the bike is properly set up then you shouldn't notice anyway. That said a badly set up carbon, steel, Ti or bamboo bike would also not ride nicely, so forget the material and concentrate on the bike you like the look of, and ideally the bike that fits you best and feels the best, because if any of these boxes go unticked the chances are you won't enjoy riding it as much as you should :thumbsup:

Last edited:
OP
OP
swh1

swh1

No problem. If you don't me saying though it does sound as though you're making the classic making of presuming carbon is an upgrade over alu.

For fear of sounding like a stuck record, it isn't. It's just another material from which bicycle frames are manufactured. Some say carbon reduces road buzz over alu, but IME, (and I've owned both, and steel too), I can't say I notice any difference between alu and cf.

If the bike is properly set up then you shouldn't notice anyway. That said a badly set up carbon, steel, Ti or bamboo bike would also not ride nicely, so forget the material and concentrate on the bike you like the look of, and ideally the bike that fits you best and feels the best, because if any of these boxes go unticked the chances are you won't enjoy riding it as much as you should :thumbsup:

Thank you!! Due to limited knowledge I just wanted to try and cover all bases! I now actually have good idea of what I'm going to do! Hopefully an post some pictures once I get it sorted!

vickster

Legendary Member
There's a review of the carbon canyon in this months cycling active, got 94/100...if you want to read

What do you ride at the moment? These are pretty race oriented bikes if that's what you want whatever the material

OP
OP
swh1

swh1

Will have to get that! I'm riding a b'rwin triban 3! It's very cheap but I absolutly love it and its treating me very well! But want an upgrade and start riding more seriously!

vickster

Legendary Member
Why can't you ride the triban seriously? An expensive bike won't necessarily offer benefits unless you mean racing?

(I'm playing slight Devils advocate here)

OP
OP
swh1

swh1

No I fully understand! And I have no intentions of getting rid of my triban! For what I paid for it, and how it's performed I am over the moon! I would recommend it to anyone!!
It's more a treat, and also I would like to enter some races when I have more practise under my belt!

Top Bottom