Which bike to get? Aluminium v carbon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bpsmith

Veteran
I have a Giant Defy 1 and recently bought a Bianchi Sempre Pro. Both really good bikes in their own right.

Personally, I prefer the Bianchi as the CF frame means the power transfer is a lot smoother and the bike is quicker picking up than the Alu Defy.

This hasn't been mentioned so thought I would add that to the equation. I also love the Bianchi for other reasons already mentioned, so won't repeat.

As far as groupset a are concerned, the 11 speed Ultegra is head and shoulders above the 10 speed 105. So much smoother and quicker changing gears. Feels altogether more solid. If you're comparing to the latest 105 11 speed though, I would imagine the gap has closed somewhat.

The suggestion that there's no difference between 105 and Ultegra, but that Ultegra to Dura Ace is a huge step up is madness. Diminishing returns on groupsets suggests the complete opposite generally.

I recently brought a Canyon Ultimate CF SL 7.0 with Shimano 105 Groupset and Mavic Aksium One Wheels
Well impressed although after 300 miles bottom bracket was creaky,got it sorted at Evans and rang Canyon in Germany and they paid for the repair, also got a new set of tyres as they had had a duff batch weren't sure mine were but sent them to me anyhow.
So well impressed but as for 6 weeks service and other servicing what I can't do i'll take to Evans or my LBS as considering the price of the bike and spec level it seemed to much of a bargain to pass up on.
Had lots of great comments from people including @ianrauk about the bike.....makes it on of my better purchases of late.

Joshua Plumtree

Approaching perfection from a distance.
£1000 to spend - almost certainly aluminium (discounted Caad 10 would probably be my choice).

£2000 - definitely carbon.

1500 to spend - more difficult decision!
I'd probably opt for carbon, but only if I could pick up a discounted mid range 2013/14 bike. And on this basis, I wouldn't limit myself to only two brands. I'd shop around to see who was offering the best deal on the best possible bike with the best possible group-set. Brand would be a secondary consideration.

Good luck.

Edit. Forgot to mention that I did have £1000 to spend last week, and I did purchase a discounted Cannondale Caad 10 105 - so no probably about it. :rolleyes:

Superb thing. Smooth, fast, great power transfer and acceleration, great handling and rides like a good quality carbon bike. And the 10 speed 105 feels silky smooth to me.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Or the one you've missed.........Cannondale CAAD10 :thumbsup:

Your budget would get you 105 with change, or an extra 200 would get you the black frame with Ultegra :wub:

Don't get hung up on gearing though, (105 v Ultegra and all that), just buy the very best frame your budget will allow, everything else is just gravy.

FWIW here's my DA version* ^_^

View attachment 59094

*this was taken at the time of purchase, some changes have been made since but the bike will always be amazing regardless :becool:

Bias is a bitch innit Pete? :laugh: Which I could do something with my own ^_^
I would have taken those wheels back as faulty @smokeysmoo, theres a spoke on each that just doesn't match ;)
(tongue firmly in cheeck) as the owner of American Classic Aero 3's :thumbsup:

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Thanks! :smile: due to my lack of knowledge I will ask if there is any significant differnece between the c'dale and caynon? Or as you have all said its just personal preference!
While there will be one or two Canyon owners on here, there are many Cannondale owners. It will be hard to get a test ride on a Canyon unless you can find a U.K Canyon Demo Day that they started to do around Britain around a year to 18 months ago.

If it were me (and it ain't) I would have the carbon Canyon, mainly because you see them less often & they get great reviews.

Just wish they did other colours than black/grey, how about a nice White/Red or Red/White or better still Red/White & Blue Canyon (if your snooping/browsing).

ayceejay

Guru
Beats me why you want to buy a bike due to the fancy paintwork.
Check the spec on similarly priced bikes from Planet X Ribble Wiggle or Merlin and you might get a pleasant surprise
Planet X (for instance) have carbon bikes with Sram Force at this price.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Thanks smokeysmoo! well in most cases carbon! But as the alu caynon comes out lighter and better groupset is that better than carbon! But then plan to upgrade I suppose carbon is better?
As @smokeysmoo says upthread, there really is no better/worse, just different.

A carbon framed bike will have a lighter frame & possibly a bit more compliance (a bit of natural flex or give) but not guaranteed.

An aluminium frame will have more impact resistance & be easier to fix after an 'off' but again, not guaranteed.

FWIW, Giant released a TCR SL (superlight) aluminium bike in 2013 with a frame that is lighter than many carbon frames, just to show what could be done with Aluminium & Specialized did the same with an aluminium Allez. Specialized still sell this bike Allez S Works at a cost of circa £7,500 !!
I can't do links (still) so go google them & see.

Finally, I own a carbon bike, Sintesi Z2 (what's that you say), a bike next to no one owns (so I love it) & I now have my voucher for an aluminium Cube Peloton Race 2014, heavier, lower specced bike, but different to my Sunday best bike.
My point is that they are both road/race bikes, just different.

Vive la difference'.

Peteaud

Veteran
Dont forget, you can't ride Carbon in the rain tho :whistle:

reacher

caad 10 , climbs like a Ferrari , best by far of the ally bikes , unless of course you feel faster on a carbon bike

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
If I was spending 1500 on a Carbon frame, then it would be the spesh Tarmac sl4

Nebulous

Guru
If I was spending 1500 on a Carbon frame, then it would be the spesh Tarmac sl4

Very much tempted by that myself. Available in orange or black!

It's tempting to move up the range though. £1800 gets full 105, better wheels and better crankset. But, in for a penny in for a pound, eh? For a mere additional £200 on that you get full ultegra and even better wheels. The only thing that is holding me back is that I'm not sure about the white and blue of the comp.

Then I realise I've just added on £500, or almost as much as my last bike cost. So I'm back thinking about the orange sport again!

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Very much tempted by that myself. Available in orange or black!

It's tempting to move up the range though. £1800 gets full 105, better wheels and better crankset. But, in for a penny in for a pound, eh? For a mere additional £200 on that you get full ultegra and even better wheels. The only thing that is holding me back is that I'm not sure about the white and blue of the comp.

Then I realise I've just added on £500, or almost as much as my last bike cost. So I'm back thinking about the orange sport again!
I have the sport in black nd red, changed cranks to carbon, fitted zondas, full 105 its unbelievable how good this bike is

Top Bottom