Which bike to get? Aluminium v carbon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
What are the main differences between the ultegra and 105?
Thanks for the help! Will try and find one to ride!
Assuming both are the 11 speed, depending on the gearing...hood shape (possibly), aesthetics of the parts, Ultegra possibly smoother to shift (probably psychological as Ultegra costs more so it must be better, right) and a bit of weight

Canyon aren't sold in the UK (although I think they are opening some sort of office in London, Kingston)

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Canyon-UK/169207803232729?sk=info

OP
OP
swh1

swh1

So unless I was to go all out and get dura ace the differnece it really limited. Feel like it's worth going for carbon caynon as it saves a bit of money! Thanks so much for all your help! Big fan of c'dale though... Wish I could just get both!

OP
OP
swh1

swh1

Thanks! :smile: due to my lack of knowledge I will ask if there is any significant differnece between the c'dale and caynon? Or as you have all said its just personal preference!

So unless I was to go all out and get dura ace the differnece it really limited.
The difference is still minimal with DA TBH. 105 works a treat IME, but if you do get a deal on a bike with Ultegra then fill your boots, just don't buy one purely for the gearing, the frame is king :thumbsup:

Thanks! :smile: due to my lack of knowledge I will ask if there is any significant differnece between the c'dale and caynon? Or as you have all said its just personal preference!

Just a hunch, but I suspect a Canyon dealer will tell you their bikes are better because, blah, blah, blah, and then when you visit the Cannondale dealer guess what, they'll say the same.

Check out online reviews and keep asking questions on here. The beauty of C'dale is you can see them and test them, whereas AFAIK Canyon are still online only. That's great if you know exactly what you want/need size wise, but can be risky if you have any doubts.

vickster

Legendary Member
Well the frame's different, probably the carbon....Both get very good reviews but Canyon could be more of a gamble to buy just because they aren't sold in the UK

Where do you live? Perhaps you have one of the good C Dale deals close by

OP
OP
swh1

swh1

There are good dale sales in my local stores so will try them! Canyon just seemed attractive with the weight and gears! But like lots of forums I have read there is much debate over alu and carbon frames!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Canyon customer service is second to none. No gamble at all.
Just ask @Nigel182 for his Canyon Bikes experience. They went above and beyond to sort out a couple of problems.

vickster

Legendary Member
Canyon customer service is second to none. No gamble at all.
Just ask @Nigel182 for his Canyon Bikes experience. They went above and beyond to sort out a couple of problems.
Depends if you can deal with potential hassle if there's an issue

Personally, if spending £1500 on a bike I'd want a local shop to take it back to, not confident or knowledgeable enough to deal with a technical issue with a remote retailer, nor to re-box a bike to send back, hang around for couriers etc , but each to their own

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Depends if you can deal with potential hassle if there's an issue

Personally, if spending £1500 on a bike I'd want a local shop to take it back to, not confident or knowledgeable enough to deal with a technical issue with a remote retailer, nor to re-box a bike to send back, hang around for couriers etc , but each to their own

He took the bike to his LBS, they fixed it, Canyon paid the bill.. and more.

vickster

Legendary Member
Interesting. Did they also pay for the 6 week check, set up etc? These are essential services for me on a bike costing that (indeed any bike)

Top Bottom